Fallout Lore: Ch.1 - Vaults and Vault-Tec

When a frightened child fears that monsters are lurking in the shadows of their bedroom they pull their covers over their head and cower, hoping that a layer of cloth will protect them from whatever unseen threats stalk the night. On October 23rd 2077 the nightmares became all too real when the commenced. Blinding light ignited the sky, and people ducked and took cover as they had been taught, cowering under whatever they could, hoping that if they kept their eyes closed and remained still that the merciless flames would pass them by. They hid beneath desks at school, under cars on the street, and behind desks at work. Perhaps a few were in their beds when the flash appeared on the horizon and – perhaps they drew their blankets over their head like children, hoping that the searing pain was just a bad dream.

"It was no dream for any of the surviving children." Kal'tsit tightly held her fist remembering her time as a child...

The ballyhooed tactic of Duck and Cover proved ineffective against armies that no longer cared about winning

The ballyhooed tactic of Duck and Cover proved ineffective against armies that no longer cared about winning. Mutually self-assured destruction was the goal, and the American and Chinese exceeded it in spades. Hundreds of millions of people lost their lives within minutes, and billions more died over the days to come as radioactive fallout settled over entire continents. The fallout muddied the oceans, clouded the sky, and sunk deep into the soil.

"Guess to show how dangerous those weapons really are?" Doctor took notes on avoiding weapons similar on the screen, he has enough on his plate on not having to deal with atomic energy weapons.

Those who happened to be in the right place at the moment the bombs fell managed to survive. A well-timed spelunking vacation, a commute along the deepest subway tunnels, or the good fortune to live in a town in a place so remote that no one would ever think to bomb it. These "lucky" few formed the primitive tribal societies that struggled for survival in the years immediately following the war.

"Let's just hope that none of the atomic warheads ever happen here on Terra." Kal'tsit said to the two, they nodded before look at the screen again.

Hidden from those tribal bands were another group of survivors. Those who had been selected for . One hundred thousand people fortunate enough to have been offered shelter inside impregnable survival shelters called Vaults, created by the Vault-tec corporation. The first vaults opened again a few years after the war and their inhabitants slowly spread throughout the wasteland. By now tales of the Vaults have spread from coast to coast, although not many people alive today have actually been inside one.

At the height of pre-war civilization, the government and a few powerful corporations knew that an apocalypse was brewing, so they used their finest technology to create vast subterranean bunkers that could withstand a nuclear blast, a meteor impact, global flooding or other likely disasters. The general public wasn't entirely convinced that their end was nigh, otherwise there would have been a greater demand for Vaults. When the war started there were only about a hundred of them, scattered across America, and many held less than the thousand people they were intended to hold.