Fallout Lore Ch 10 - Ghouls

The radiant heat of an atomic bomb can turn a human body to ash in an instant. The shockwave can crush bones and burst organs for miles in every direction. And those unfortunate enough to survive will soon succumb to the unseen threat of radioactive fallout. Most bodies will lay down and die once they've absorbed enough radiation; a horrible death that takes days, but maybe better than an alternative that some people face. Ghoulification.

Plenty of people in the wasteland will shoot ghouls on site. They look like zombies, or mummies - monsters right out old horror vids. The tragedy is that most ghouls are just as intelligent now as they were back when they were human, and they're perfectly aware of what's happened to them. 

"So these are ghouls

"So these are ghouls..." Kal'tsit took notes as she glances at the ghoul on screen, his rotting skin, burnt flesh parts, and hair slowly falling apart.

"The radiation were the cause of all this?" Amiya couldn't help but feel sorry for the ghouls, to have to live like zombies for eternity is a nightmare.

"It's unfortunate enough that the poor souls were turned into ghouls, I'm sure it was a shock to them when they first discovered their new transformation." Dobermann adding her cent as she looked away from the screen for a minute.

"I will admit that I would shoot them because of their appearance, the site of these ghouls is giving me chills down to my spine." GreyThroat spoke as she would likely killed the ghouls should they ever show up on her sight.

"Ditto." Firewatch agrees with GreyThroat, as the sight of these ghouls is telling her to shoot first than poke questions later.

There's still plenty of them that have gone feral, though. Spend enough time in a rotting body, and they degenerate into little more than animals that attack any human they see. Most folk think it's better to just shoot first and worry about being called a bigot later.

We're not sure why some people turn into ghouls while others just kneel over after being exposed to radiation. The history tapes don't mention ghouls existing before the Great War, so something must have changed back around the end of the 21st century.