one

The heels of Dream's shoes squeak against the sparkly clean tiled floor as he makes his way down the hallway. He looks around and observes the bleak atmosphere and the cold metal railings bordering the hall.

He thinks that the hospital is a cold and dark place. The bright lights and the smiling nurses manage to trick everyone else, but Dream knows.

He knows that the hospital isn't a happy place because his family owns it. He's heard of the countless accidents and the deaths that occurred here.

Dream thinks that they need to do a bit more decorating, he also thinks that no one should be in such a gloomy environment.

So what was he doing here?

He could ask himself the same question.

His father called it a learning experience, but Dream called it 'forcing your son to volunteer at a hospital.' But he didn't say that out loud, for obvious reasons.

Instead, he just nodded and watched as his parents made arrangements for him.

"It's only one month, sweetie. I'm sure you will learn a lot from it," his mother said as she placed a small kiss on Dream's forehead. "And if you really like it, we can make you an intern," she added with a smile.

So here he was, walking down the hallway, a bunch of documents gathered in his hand. The hospital was quite busy today, he could hear the screech of the hospital beds and the many nurses shouting commands and telling people to get out of the way.

Today was his first day of volunteering, but it certainly wasn't the first time visiting patients. Dream did this quite a lot actually. Some days he would watch the infants sleep, and some days he would chat with the elderly about some deep topic no one else would think of.

He enjoyed doing that, but he didn't like it when they passed away. It seemed like they all slowly faded away, either to get better, or to get worse and never be seen again. That's around the time that Dream decided to stop visiting entirely. He was afraid that he would get too attached.

But it seemed like his parents wanted him to do this more often, so he said yes. It's not like they would've listened if he said no, either.

Dream sighed as he exited the lobby and took the elevator to the fourth floor, where most of the long-term patients were. He knew the hospital like he knew the back of his hand. After all, he basically grew up here.

The back of his lab coat trailed behind him as he made his way down yet another hallway. They seemed identical. They had the same silver railings and the same tiled floor.

Dream wasn't sure if he liked it or hated it.

He studied the clipboard he had in his hand and opened the folder that lay on the surface.

Cardiac care unit- he read slowly. Under the label, there were a few other pages, probably information about the patients there. Dream sighed sadly as he flipped through the papers that were held together with a small paper clip.

Adjusting his ID card that hung from a clip on his chest, he entered the cardiac care unit, quickly greeted by a nurse sitting behind a large desk.

The desk had many layers to it, and was slightly elevated, making it hard for Dream to see the tower of paperwork that was pushed to the side.

The nurse had dark hair with a thin highlighted streak. Unlike the other nurses, she wasn't wearing any makeup. Instead, she was wearing an confused but friendly expression.

"Volunteer?" the woman asked as she tapped her pen on the desk below her. "ID, please."

Dream nodded, undoing the clip and pushing the card forward on the marble topped table.