twenty-two

hey guys. IM BACK FROM HIBERNATION

George is already awake when Dream's up.

The curtains are half-drawn, and the sliver of sunlight leaks through the crevices and paint the two in a subtle golden glow.

"You're up early," Dream mumbles sleepily.

George turns around, eyes looking more tired than usual. It makes the blonde think that he didn't sleep that night either.

"Phil came for an early appointment," George replies, clearing his throat. "I forgot about it, I wouldn't have asked you to come over if I had remembered." He leans forward and frowns, running a finger along the blonde's tired face. "Did you not sleep at all?"

Dream lets out a half-hearted laugh and shrugs. "I couldn't."

"Thoughts keeping you awake?"

"Somewhat," the blonde responds, trying his best to smile. He steps out of the bed and makes his way to the bathroom, making sure to kiss George on the forehead.

Usually, the brunette would tilt his face up at Dream and use one arm on the back of his neck to pull him closer, but this time he just sat there with an expressionless look. Maybe he was just tired. There were subtle circles under his eyes, and it was definitely reasonable considering the fact that he probably didn't sleep much that night or the nights before.

The blonde walks out of the bathroom two minutes later, piercing green eyes falling on George, who was still on the bed. His eyes were shut tightly, head thrown back and arms hugging his sides. There was an expression on his face that Dream couldn't exactly put his finger on, but he knew for a fact that it probably wasn't a good sign.

He could always read his emotions.

It came off hard at first, but once he explored every lift of George's smile and tilt of his head, Dream knew that he knew what George had been feeling.

This time, the expression on the brunette's face was far from readable.

It was surprising, because George always woke in a good mood when he was with Dream.

"George?"

The brunette snaps upright, as if he didn't know that Dream was back in the room. "Hi, what's up?"

There's a pause before he responds.

"You're up, that's what," Dream says with narrowed eyes.

George is surprised by this. Dream has always had the most friendly and gentle eyes. It was one of the things George most adored about the blonde. Those eyes were so expressive, reflecting every thought and emotion. They were so mesmerizing that he could probably get lost in that sea of green and specks of chartreuse. Now they were as cold as ice.

"Dre-"

"Please, George," the blonde interrupts, pursing his lips together. His eyes soften a bit, but there's still a shade of harshness behind the curtain of emerald. "I need to know what's going on, even if you don't think it's important, because in reality..." his voice drifts of a little before he clears his throat and tries again. "In reality, you're really important to me and I hate the fact that you're hurting."

"I'm not... I'm not hurting," George denies, hugging his sides a bit tighter. "I don't know why you suspect that I'm hurting, or whatever. I should be happy, I know that." His tone comes out snappy and accusing, causing George himself to flinch and recoil in shock.

"I'm not indicating that you should be happy, George. I just want you to tell me things that bother you." There's a pointed tone before the words, but George doesn't say anything. "Look at me and tell me that there's nothing wrong," Dream dares.