nineteen

chapter is sponsored and delivered by pringles TM. thank u official pringles

George was tired.

He was always tired now. Sometimes he could barely sleep without waking up multiple times throughout the night. George hadn't told Dream, he knew that the blonde would react poorly, and that's the last thing he would want.

George didn't like being cared for, that's what made his stay at the hospital frustrating.

Dream was the literal definition of a caring person. He's the type of person who checks in every hour just to make sure that George was feeling okay, even when it meant setting up those annoying phone alarms.

The brunette trusted Dream with everything, but he didn't want to be seen as a charity case. He was perfectly capable of himself and keeping his issues a secret wasn't a crime.

George doesn't know what he's doing anymore.

Sometimes he tries to read until the words don't cooperate and start to blur into the paper background.

Sometimes he tries to gather up all his nerves to call his old friends, just wanting everything to be like before. The only friend he talks to is Wilbur, and they don't even talk as much as George hoped they would.

He would receive an occasional text from Izzy, Wilbur's well-liked and popular cousin, but George was always too scared to respond. 

It wasn't like he was scared of her. No, that could never be the case.

Izzy had always been one of his closet friends, and he promised himself that one day he will call her and catch up on everything they had missed out on.

When the time was right, of course.

Sometimes George would sit on the bed, wide awake, wondering how things would've gone if he had met Dream differently.

What if they had a meet-cute? It could be anywhere. A coffee shop, a bookstore, anywhere would've been "cuter" than a hospital.

He wonders how they would meet. Maybe they'd lock eyes in an art gallery, not that George has ever been to one, and it'd be love at first sight.

Dream would definitely introduce himself first, he's not the type of person who would completely ice everyone out.

George longs for those stories "normal" couples tell people. He wants a reality where he's actually proud of telling other people his and Dream's story.

It's like how normal couples do it. They'd spin a story of how they bumped into each other outside, then couldn't help but fall in love. Just like that, their story was created. And when they'd share their story they'd touch each other's hand protectively, maybe even steal a short glance at one another.

George had thought that it was stupid how couples told their story one too many times, but now he realizes that it's not dumb at all. Now that he knows what it's like to be in love, he can't help but be a little envious.

He hated to admit it, but he was a bit sorry.

It felt wrong, and he knew that there was no reason to feel guilty for how things turned out. It wasn't like he chose to be in this situation.

But somehow he was.

The hospital room was a cruel reminder that he was completely trapped here. That no matter what he tried to do, Dream was always going to be dragged down with him.

That was just how things were.

Something George hated more was that Dream was flawless. He was so perfects that he could win a contest for simply being perfect. If he could ever find the right words, George could write countless essays about how amazing the blonde was.