seventeen

again, this was a real conversation and god it took a ton of guts to write this. cried like eight times, damn

"Do you ever think about the future?" Dream asks in a faraway voice. He uses one finger to trace the golden sand around him, listening to the rush of waves rolling along the shore.

"Nope," the brunette responds without hesitance. "After everything, I never really thought of it."

"Are you scared?"

"Of the future?" George responds in shock, shaking his head a little. "Of course, I am. Isn't everyone?" he laughs, but nothing about his voice points towards humor.

Dream normally gets scared when people get serious. When their voices get hushed into a whisper, as if they were speaking in poetic form, voice drifting and disappearing into the comfort of silence. Somehow, it feels different coming from George. The blonde likes this side of him.

"I'm scared," the brunette admits, "But I don't think of it much, I guess I've never thought about much." He releases a soft laugh, breaking the still tension of the call. "Why, do you worry about it a lot?"

Dream shakes his head, even though he knows that George can't see him. At this point, the phone is just laying on the sand, looking up at the night sky.

"I don't worry about it," the blonde says, still drawing circles into the sand. "But I get curious about us sometimes."

"Us?" George asks in a clarifying voice. He knows he's heard it correctly, but he likes thinking of him and Dream as one.

"I just realized that we're either going to end up with marriage or the worst breakup ever imaginable," the blonde says. He spits those words out as if he needed to get it out of his system for the longest time ever.

He knows it's true, they both do.

"We'll be okay."

"George?"

The brunette hums in return.

"Would you ever marry me?"

This brings out a genuine laugh from George. It sounds through the speaker, bringing music to Dream's ears. Hearing George laugh feels like the best thing, it washes him with bliss, it brings Dream home.

"Dream," the brunette says through peals of laughter. "Dream, Dream, Dream."

The blonde smiles, but keeps anxiously drawing circles into the soft sand. "Yeah?"

"This feels like a proposal, Dream," George chuckles, shifting the camera angle so it's also facing the hospital ceiling.

"Maybe it is," the blonde responds with a nonchalant shrug. "Will you marry me?" he asks, the question sounding more like a statement. Even through the phone screen, Dream can imagine George, one hand to his mouth and giggling like its the funniest thing in the world. "I'm not kidding, George. I'm being serious."

"I never said you were kidding," the brunette says. "It's just unexpected, that's all."

"You didn't think that I'd want to marry you?"

"Not like this," George inhales deeply, an attempt in calming himself. "Not when we're not even official, not when we're on a video call."

Dream stops tracing circles into the sand, bringing his phone to his face.

"George," he says seriously. "George Davidson, will you make me the luckiest man in the universe and make me your husband?"

His voice cracks before he can finish, immediately resulting in him wheezing, one hand on his knee and the other holding his face in pure embarrassment. The two of them are properly giggling like middle-schoolers now.