twenty-four

Dream walks into the electronic doors of the cardiac care unit, chilled AC hitting his skin. It's familiar, of course it is. It's the same place the blonde went to every day.

It's where he had learned what it felt like to love George. It's the place he walked out of the other day, trying his best not to make it look like he was crying. It wasn't possible, so he found the nearest bathroom and locked himself in a stall to cry.

Dream's not exactly sure why he's even here in the first place.

He got insisted on leaving the beach house and came home instead, reassuring his parents that he'd be okay staying alone.

Now, he's not so sure.

Dream woke up, ate breakfast with Ranboo, and set his thoughts free. His thoughts ended up taking him to flower store, which made him more relaxed, yet anxious.

He walked the aisles of sweet scented flowers and garden decorations, chest filling up with nostalgia. He remembered walking through the same store, talking to the same employees, but he knows that it's not the same.

The last time he paid a visit to the flower store was for George. He thought of George as he walked through the door. He thought about George as his fingers ran along the delicate, soft petals of each flower. He had thought of George as he walked out of the store, endless possibilities clouding his head.

Now, there was nothing to think about. There was nothing to hope for. Nothing Dream could do except to "wait it out" and let time do it's job.

He knew that, yet he still went to the hospital and made a direct beeline to where George would be.

His gaze falls on Eileen, who was by the entrance scribbling down notes on the papers on the long, marble counter. She waves as she sees Dream, a confused and half-apologetic look on her face.

"Hi, Eileen," the blonde politely smiles, making his way to the table and standing there patiently.

"It's a Tuesday, and you know you don't have to fill out a visitor's form," the nurse laughs. "You've been here enough times to know that." She shakes her head and returns to the task of writing on the stack of papers beside her.

"Yeah," Dream sucks in a sharp breath. "I just- How is he?" he asks, voice full of curiosity. "I hope I'm not bothering you or anything but... how is George?"

Eileen raises a suspicious eyebrow. "Why don't you go find out?"

"I know, but-"

"Well," she sighs. "I can't exactly tell you the wellbeing of a patient unless it's family or another type of legal guardian, but I know you and how you are with George. He's okay, but I think he's a bit lonely."

"Oh."

Eileen nods with a grin. "So I say you should probably go and resolve whatever tension is between you two," she waves her hands around to add emphasis. "That's my piece of advice, anyway."

Dream's heart sinks.

He knows Eileen's right. He can't be dismissive of whatever that's going on. He wants answers, and the only way to get that is by going directly to George.

Without a warning, the phone by the table starts ringing, diverting both of their attention.

Eileen sighs. "Saved by the bell," she gestures and answers the phone. 'Good luck,' she mouthed, slightly waving Dream off.

The blonde reluctantly moves away from the table and makes his way down the well-lit hall until he's standing in front of George's door. His shoes tap along the glittery floor, and it's too silent. Each sound echoes and seems to be amplified.