Chapter 1

It was well known to the people of Otun that the Prince was a concealed figure

Rumours had it that he was a strikingly handsome man blessed by the gods with a dark admirable skin tone,  a height to send the female girls running in delight and facial features that stood out amongst the men of Otun while some rumors had it that he looked like a beast who was cursed at birth.

He was only seen by the chiefs and by people who worked in the Palace and they dared not mention what he looked like due to the saying that anything said in the Palace stays in the Palace.

Ewa listened to the loud gossip between the female villagers as she moved her knives and the iron stick she had used to roast the meat to a side.

It was getting dark and the sun was slowly concealing itself , she had to trek a long distance before getting home.

She wasn't the type to pay attention but then the female villagers who thought they were whispering weren't as she could hear them loud and clear as they chattered noisily.

By the time Ewa got home, it was already dark. She greeted her parents before giving them the money she made from the day's sales. She was too exhausted to remove her 'buba' and 'iro', Ewa staggered clumsily into her room and towards the straw mat and fell on it. As soon as her head touched the mat, she fell into a deep sleep.

*******

It was as if the night was covered in mist in Ewa's eyes. The weather felt different and as the wind grazed her skin, she shivered.

The smell of the wind filled her nostrils. It was as if it was about to rain but it wasn't going to rain . She rubbed her eyes together to make sure she was seeing well.

She had just fallen asleep and now she was standing in a place covered in mist and that baffled her.

Slowly the night started getting clearer as the mist reduced. It was starting to get clear and just then she saw women and girls in a circle of fire dressed in red all through dancing and singing.

“Wá ki o darapọ mọ wa
O to akoko fun ọ lati darapọ mọ wa.
Wá darapọ mọ awọn arabinrin rẹ.
Àsìkò ti tó.
Wá ki o darapọ mọ wa.
Akoko ti nlo.
Wá ki o darapọ mọ wa.
Aje ti o kẹhin, o to akoko"

The skin between her brows creased in confusion. The only thing she could remember was falling asleep and that bothered her as to how she got there.

The women danced, sang and as soon as they came to a stop, the fire in their middle escalated before it regained it's former shape.

They laughed hysterically calling to her come towards them with their hands outstretched and unconsciously she moved. Her legs were moving on their own.