Chapter 11

GIVE US A COMMENT OR A VOTE if you missed this book! Let's get right into it! 😁❤️

The next few days moved very slowly for Ewa as she often came down with a splitting pain in her head once the sun had risen. She struggled each day to understand the nightmare that troubled her.

What did it mean?

Everyone in the village had heard of her betrothal to the Prince of Otun and the town crier had never failed to remind them with his gong, every morning and dawn. People trooped into her father's hut bearing gifts, trinkets and baskets of their proceeds from the farm. Her mother wore a smile on her face each way while boasting with her fellow women who were in awe of her success. Ewa felt as if the air surrounding her had become smaller and she sought solace in the forest one fateful evening.

She looked at the trees that bore green figs and the soil was moist with water. She was reminded of Prince Ademola and a smile swept across her lips. She hadn't seen him since the King and his entourage came to her father's abode and she touched the tree, feeling slightned by his absence and lack of attention.

She circled around that tree and then she continued to walk farther into the forest until her eyes landed on someone approaching her. Her first instinct was to turn her back at him and begin to run but his voice stopped her;

“I heard that you were going to be betrothed to the Prince of Otun. Tell me that is not true, " Alade asked as worry etched on his face, “Tell me that it's all a lie and the town-crier had made a mistake."

Ewa sighed heavily while remembering his proposal and she lifted up a fist and responded, “It is true that I am betrothed to the Prince of Otun. What are you doing in the forest, Alade? Did you follow me here?"

She was surprised when he suddenly erupted into a fits of laughter, “How could I follow you into the forest? Do you think so little of me? Did you accept to marry the Prince when I asked for your hand in marriage? Did you think of me like a fool when I brought proceeds of my farm to you? Did you think that I only desired to be your acquaintance for eternity?"

Alade paused, swallowing a globe of saliva while Ewa watched him with uncertainty brewing at the back of her mind. She was confused by the way his voice was raised and how he welded the cutlass in his right hand.

“I wanted you, Ewa. I dreamed of you as my bride. I wanted you to be mine, alone. You were the dream of my childhood. You always were. How could you agree to marry the Prince of Otun? Do you even know him that well? D-Do you know him as well as you know me? Did you...not know of my affection for you?"

Ewa gulped as she sucked in a breath. She then began to recollect how Alade always made her laugh and smile. How he always took her to every festival, making sure to protect her from any arm.

Ewa broke into a sob as she looked at his face. It bore disappointment, hurt and anger.

“You will always have a place in my heart, Alade. You are like a brother, the one I never had.... "