Chapter 8

Ewa and the stranger walked side by side each other as they walked towards the riverside

Ewa and the stranger walked side by side each other as they walked towards the riverside. Once in a while their hands grazed one another, making goosebumps arise on Ewa's skin.

She found him mysterious yet safe beside him. They both walked in silence, none attempting to make a speech but they could feel the tension between them even when they reached the riverside. Then a growl erupted from Ewa's stomach. A growl of hunger. Her eyes darted to him and she found herself looking at the sandy soil in which her feet stepped on.

"Here, take it and eat." He passed a large peppered snail which was encased in a large leaf to her.

"I am not famished." Ewa hesitated at first and then she grabbed it from him and began to eat as fast as she could.

She began to wonder how he knew that she loved snails or maybe he guessed and decided to try his luck with her.

She heard him laugh and then started to slow down.

"I have not seen anyone in this village who eats the snails I make....so happy. You are the first, Ewa." He laughed again.

"Y-You made it?" Ewa asked, "For me?"

"I did not make it for you. That was my meal for today and out of compassion, I gave it to you." He replied with a sneaky smile.

"Then why did you give it to me?" Ewa began to yell as she smacked him on the shoulder, "You should have kept it to yourself."

Feigning pain and reaching up to massage his left shoulder, he then began to complain,"H-How dare you beat a noble man like me on the shoulder?"

"A noble man indeed." Ewa giggled as she swallowed the bits of snail that stuck to her teeth,"You are just an idle man who likes attention."

Placing his hand under his chin, he replied, "What if I were to be a Prince?"

"A Prince? Impossible!" Ewa began to laugh as her hands clutched her sides in amusement at his words. "You look nothing like a Prince."

"Not even when I do this ehn?"

Ewa wasn't ready when he pushed her into the river, making sure to follow afterwards. Spitting out gulps of water, Ewa lunged at him, throwing her entire weight on him and laughing at the same time. She was happy when he held her waist to steady himself as she was seated on his lap sideways.

His heart beat faster and faster as her brown face came up to his own. She drew him toward her with her eyes, he inclined his face toward hers and lay his mouth on her mouth, which was like a freshly split-open fig. For a long time he kissed her and Ewa was filled with deep astonishment as she taught him how wise she was, how she ruled him, put him off, lured him back... each one different from the other, still awaiting him. Breathing deeply, he remained rooted on that spot,his hand tight on her waist and his other hand, reaching up to graze her cheek and at this moment he was like a child suprised by the abundance of knowledge and things worth learning opening up before his eyes.