Chapter 2

Ewa collected the tubers of yam Alade had given her with a smile plastered on her face

Ewa collected the tubers of yam Alade had given her with a smile plastered on her face. Alade was Ewa's childhood friend. They had met while Ewa's father had a setback in his farm. He was only a stranger then and Alade had helped in cultivating of different crops so as to help Ewa's father to get back on his feet and a bloosoming friendship began from there. Anytime Ewa stopped to greet Alade's mother, the middle aged woman always hissed aloud and turned her face to the other side. At first, Ewa thought it was coincidental until it happened everytime she stopped over at his home.

Alade's mother hated Ewa. She often slapped Alade on the shoulder and called him "ode". It took four years for Ewa to realize that his mother hated that Alade often gave Ewa more than half of his farm proceeds for the entire year. Alade was a tall man. One of the tallest men in the village of Otun. His face was perfectly sculpted to perfection. His brown skin often glistened in the sun after a day's hard work in the farm. His muscles were large and that made him a favourable topic among the women of Otun. Even the women who were already betrothed were not left out.

Ewa often wondered why Alade chose to spend his evenings chatting with her rather than looking for a bride. She wondered who she had blessed in her previous life to receive such kindness from Alade.

"Thank you.....but you know you need not do this, it makes me feel uncomfortable most especially when you refuse to collect anything from me." Ewa spoke, her lips forming into a pout that Alade loved to see everyday.

Alade smiled, "I am sorry to put you in such situation, but I do not have it in me to sell yams to you when I can give them to you willingly," he replied her.

"Thank you, Alade. Your future bride will be happy to have a man...like you."

"That bride could be you, you know?" He teased knowing that she would laugh.

Ewa chuckled, "She would be me in your next life," she replied.

Ewa playfully toyed with the plaited tips of her black hair as she felt Alade's towering gaze on her as they walked towards the market square. Ewa could look to her right if Alade looked towards to the left.

Ewa never met his gaze.

A group of soldiers dressed in black regalias with white beads adorning their waists and their legs with a small calabash hanging loosely on their necks walked towards them. Ewa smiled. The men were back from the war. Most of their hands were stained with their assilant's blood but their faces were full of smiles and victory.

Ewa rubbed her neck nervously.

“Alade, w-why don't you join the men of our land anytime t-there is a war?"

Ewa found it hard to speak because that was a topic that traumatized Alade greatly. His father used to be the Balogun of Otun Village. One of the greatest warriors in the land. Neighbouring villages feared Alade's father because he was a ruthless man during wars. Alade's father was beheaded during a war and his head was the first thing Alade saw when the men returned from the war.