Chapter 3

After Ewa had completed sweeping the dust that garnished the entrance of the hut, she took a small bag and began to throw maize on the path she took on the way to the market square for the fowls to feed on. She had taken her time to look a bit more good for a reason she had denied she wasn't trying hard for.

As she got closer to the place where she sold her roasted meat, she began to walk a bit slower than before as if taking her time to look at herself.

The thought of the stranger had not left her mind and as annoying as it was, she didn't mind.

She expected the stranger to be seated on the wooden bench waiting for her but to her dismay, there was no one waiting for her.

She sighed weakly but that didn't stop her from setting out and roasting her meat.

It has been over six hours since she set out, people had come and bought meat and left but the stranger was nowhere to be seen. Once in a while, she'd look around to see if she'd see him but saw no glimpse of him and each time her heart sank.

She knew men like that were not to be trusted and she felt foolish that she didn't know his name or anything about him but she had felt comfortable under his gaze and let him see her naked body.

She groaned frustratingly as to how she let her guards down. She had let a man she didn't know see her naked and now she was letting him invade her thoughts which was bad for her.

Shrugging off the thought of him, she decided to not be distracted and focus on her business.

                                         *****

The stranger had not appeared before Ewa for two days. She expected him to show up but got no glimpse of even his hair.

She had rained all sorts of curses to him and finally came to the conclusion that he was a ghost and she had let her guards down.

Ready to start afresh, Ewa looked forward to a good day. Alade was waiting for her before she came and he helped her in setting up for the day.

Ewa frowned at Alade when he refused to collect the meat she had packed for him. After helping her set up for the day, she offered him some meat but he refused telling her he was fine and he didn't help her to get anything in return.

She placed her hands on her waist as she gave him a puzzled look. "Have I ever helped you on your farm for you to always give me yam?" She asked.

Alade smiled at her, "Ewa, you know that's not it. I like to give you yam because..." Ewa interrupted him.

"So it is okay for you to give me yam for free but not okay for me to give you meat right?" She asked. The skin between her brows creased.

Alade sighed, "Ewa. Our situations are different." He said in a short and firm manner.

Ewa shook her head, "If so, never give me yam for free anymore because I will never collect them." She replied, ignoring eye contact with him.

The look on Ewa's face seemed to soothe him and he couldn't help but smile as she frowned.

He wasn't happy she was frowning but no matter the facial expression she had on, she looked stunning and exceptional. There was a deep richness to her black skin; a homely vibe that was brought to his mind.

"Okay. Give me the meat, I will take them." He said but she ignored.

Alade moved closer to her to take the meat but she moved her hands away not wanting to give him again.

"I'm sorry. Please give me the meat," he requested but she paid no attention to him.

He tried to get the meat from her hands and somehow she had lost her balance while trying to take the meat from his reach but Alade was quick to hold her waist firmly, stopping her from falling.