Chapter 6

Ewa's heart beat could be mistaken for a club being hit severally on a huge stone

Ewa's heart beat could be mistaken for a club being hit severally on a huge stone. Her hand trembled. She still felt goosebumps from the warm contact of his lips on her bare hand.

How could just a touch awaken her senses? she thought.

When Ewa finally got back to her senses, she noticed the stranger was smirking, the sides of his lips remained curved. That little rise in the corner of his mouth he was oblivious to combined with the cool detachment in his eyes sealed her fate.Ewa watched the fire under the roasted meat as she felt the heat dry her skin, scorching, ordering a few steps backward, but she didn't. She watched, eyes full open, posture square to the flames. Before she could take back her action, she had slapped him hard across the face which brought a lot of attention from the other market women in the market square.

“Is that how to welcome me?" he asked with a bitter laugh.

“Do I look like a conquest to you?" Ewa replied with a proud look on her face.

His brows creased slightly, “I am not understanding you, Ewa. Did I do anything worth a hit across my face?"

Ewa chuckled quietly and cocked her head slightly. His eyes were as deep and expressive, where one could get lost if one stared long enough. His face had that faraway look in it, which cannot be described in words. His smile, which reached up to his eyes and wrinkled them, flaunted his modesty and humility. Often, one could see a hint of pain in his sparkling eyes, which would disappear as suddenly as it emerged.

She didn't care if he was hurt about her words because that was only the beginning. She squinted briefly before speaking.

His hands were hard, with broad fingers and nails as thick and ridged as little clam shells. The space between his thumb and forefinger and the hams of his hands were shiny with callus.

“I know that...you are one of those men who are only interested in taking a lady's virtue. It's written all over your face. Now I see why you are a man of many secrets. It's because you have done this to so many ladies in this village. I understand if you are a idle man but you make me so wary and I am not interested in a man like you." Ewa spoke with fevor.

“Why are you suddenly assuming that I am interested in you, Ewa?" he placed a carefree finger on the wooden bench, tapping away in amusement.

Ewa's heart skipped a beat. Was he merely trying to get on her nerves or was he truthful about his words?

“I asked you a question first. You are not obligated to answer me back with a question. " Ewa retorted angrily.

“Are you getting angry again, Ewa? You should take a swim to cool your temper. Beautiful maidens should not be hot tempered. It...makes them lose suitors. " he winked which made her heart tighten in pain.

Ewa rolled her eyes, “Then I suggest you leave. Why should you buy meat from a hot tempered maiden since she is of no use of you?"

“B-Because you are beautiful. That's the only reason why I am still sitting after the harsh welcome I received from you. Is hitting me across the face the way you show affection to men, Ewa mi?" he spoke again.