Chapter 7

KookurukooThe cock cried out signaling it was a new day.

Ewa stood in front of the large river as she tied her wrapper firmly around her waist. She had taken extra time to look good for a particular reason well known to her.

She had a hard time falling asleep last night as the memories of the stranger and her conversing and laughing filled her thoughts. A part of her mind told her to get over it as she would face a much bigger consequences but the other part of her told her to go ahead and see where it leads.

As much as she felt she should stay away from the stranger, the more drawn she was to him and that made her more curious about him and his family.

Who was he? Where did he live? Who were his kinsmen?" She had asked herself last night repeatedly. Although he did say she knew his family very well but she just couldn't think of who that family is.

The way he spoke, the way he carried himself and the way he dressed to his skin showed he wasn't from an ordinary family. There was a bead on his left hand and she knew not just anyone wore that bead.

Whenever an image of his face resurface in her head, she'd blush. She had never been on to be interested in anyone. She never fancied any man before but somehow this stranger had managed to make her heart beat faster than normal and it terrified her every time he came closer.

She was letting him touch her in ways a man must never touch a woman he wasn't married to. She was having emotions she loved and at the same time terrified her.

Glancing at herself once more in the river, she was pleased by her look and she left.

                                                                             *********

Ewa was shocked to see Alade sitting on the way to the market with his head in his hands, deep thought. She was startled at first thinking it was a stranger until she realized it was him.

"Alade!" She called getting his attention. The day was just starting and the sun was yet to set but Alade was outside by this time and it baffled her.

Alade raised his heads up to see Ewa. His eyes were red and he looked tired. "Good morning Ewa." He greeted her getting up from the wooden bench.

"Good morning Alade. What are you doing here by this time ?" She asked, curiosity laced on her tone.

"How could I sleep when I have wronged you Ewa?" He asked rhetorically.

The skin between Ewa's brows creased in confusion. "Wronged me? Alade, stop beating around the bush. What brings you here by this time of the day?" She repeated as she placed her hands on her hips.

"I have wronged you Ewa and I deeply regret my actions. I am sorry for my reaction last night and I didn't mean to do that to you." He confessed.

Ewa sighed as she mentally face-palmed herself. She had forgotten he had offended her but now that he reminded her she couldn't help but smile. Alade might come off stupid at times and controlling sometimes but he was indeed a good man.