Chapter 4

Ademola yawned for the umpteenth time

Ademola yawned for the umpteenth time. There was a tenseness to his muscles that made him more like a mannequin on the soft mattress than a woman of flesh and bone. He wanted so much to melt onto the soft foam, wrapped in eider-down, and drift into the world of dreams but his mind was completely occupied.

Sitting at the edge of the bed, he sucked in a breath and curved his left hand under to reach out for a small brown calabash. In slow motion, he splashed cold water on his dark face which made his skin tingle in joy. His eyelids suddenly arose from their slumber and he was wide awake.

The smirk on his face brought out a sense of mischief, of innocent fun, and at that moment it released him. The far end of lips curved into a slight grin and he was suddenly amused by a memory that struck him instantly.

That woman was the reason he had another restless night. The woman who has amazed him without doing much.

What was her name again? he thought aloud.

Ewa!

Her face was imprinted in his memory, never to be forgotten and her stern and firm look made his heart jump in delight.

The way she spoke intrigued him more than anything. She was cautious yet fierce and the way she replied him was made him want to listen to her more.

Another attribute was her meat. He could swear he had never tasted anything as delicious as her meat before. He wondered the special ingredients she added to her meat.

Ademola looked at the red beads adorning his wrists and a frown etched on his face. How long was he going to visit the market square with his identity hidden? He rubbed his forehead slowly. He was a hidden Prince because he was the only son and that was enough to send him into isolation in the palace for the rest of his life. He had always wondered why he was never allowed to play with other children in the village, instead, he was taught and trained on how to be the future king and also a great warrior in the land of Otun. His childhood was lonely and sad. He often craved attention from his father but was shunned and rebuked and he grew distant from his father.

His mother was always busy performing her queenly duties and hence Ademola never really received affection from his parents and his only companion was Bode, the guard who stood at his hut, day and night. Even his father's numerous wives and their children weren't left out. They all ignored and hated Ademola since he was the future heir to the throne.

A crown he didn't even choose?

A crown he was forced to accept?

His mind then wandered back to Ewa. His Ewa. Her eyes bewitched and captured his soul. The swell of her hips made him think the unthinkable and he remembered trying so hard to gain control when he stared at her while she took her bath in the stream. He recollected her fierce and cautious spirit and he chuckled to himself.