Chapter 36

***Tamara***

Mrs. Kagwe must have been operating under a goad, driving her into poisoning Theo. As I took in the pack members trickling into the pack grounds, my wolf insisted that Theo was partly telling the truth. The adult werewolves chattered amongst themselves, some in groups and others in pairs.

I should have felt sheer unbridled  abhorrence towards them for everything they had put me through. 5 years of name calling and unwarranted scornful insults, I stood on the raised podium, as their Luna. Following the threat from the alpha leader, they had no choice but to submit to the very witch they apparently loathed.

My mate stood beside me, with his eye sight solely pinned on Monica's friend as she approached the grounds hastily. A low growl left his mouth, commanding silence from the unknowing group of the adults. Janette nudged me with her elbow, making me place my hand on his bicep to calm him down.

Theo had been discharged and he stood behind us, with his father. The silence stretched for a minute, except the sounds of birds twittering and small animals scurrying on the grass. It was nothing shot of tense and almost palpable as it floated atop our heads.

'A murderer dwells in the midst of us all. ' They visibly shook at the amount of power my mate's voice possessed. Gasps followed, with a few darting their eyes around in incertitude. My train of sight stayed put on the mated woman as she stood unstirred at the very back of the grounds.

Had Monica been here, they would have been standing side by side. My wolf willed herself to direct her brilliantly precise focus on the woman's heartbeat. I didn't know she could do that until she isolated the beat in an instant, eliciting a bark on my conscious.

'Theo here. ' He turned briefly to point at his cousin. 'Was given a drink laced up with something that rendered him immobile and pretty much unresponsive. ' Her heart beat spiked up, racing as she struggled to keep her facade up.

I shut my eyes, my wolf taking charge. She had her tongue out, panting in anticipation of what was to come. 'Today we call out the offender in front of each and every one of you. Soon my people you will decide the fate of the pack member that betrayed you. ' Authority flooded the area as people chanted yes! lifting their hands up.

Mrs Kagwe's heart beat was undeniably loud and clear now. Her feet refused to stay glued on the same spot, squirming as she struggled to breath. Her head turned from side to side, probably trying to find a possible way of escape. I smiled inwardly, knowing that she had no place to run to. Theo had been right, but this didn't mean that I wasn't still doubtful about his whole story.

'I will not tolerate any traitors in my pack! ' Alpha Ryker's voice rose up. Her body shook in fear, the more I focused on her the more I noticed her quivering lips and weeping eyes. Her charade was dissolving with every wave of threatening aura that emanated from my muscular man.

Pete dragged his feet forward, with his cane grasped in a death grip. From my peripheral vision, I could see his head shaking repeatedly. He wanted to talk, the love he had for Theo was the only thing that kept him going after every loss he had incurred in his life.

'My only son would have died, kidnapped and beaten my masked men for days. He is lucky to be alive today. Had it not been for the Luna. ' He turned to me with a nod. ' He would have been long gone by now. ' He paused, tapping his cane twice.

'You know yourself, better come out before I unleash my wrath on you. ' Menacing, his voice dipped low. Cold, dreadfully quiet, it sent shivers down my spine, forcing a shudder to rake through me.

'Make no mistake, the alpha blood still runs in me. ' He glued his two globes on Mrs. Kagwe and I swear I saw his left eyelid close and open in a wink so elusive the crowd missed it. What was that all about?