Chapter 41

***Ryker***

'It will take more than a weak alpha to stop a powerful wizard. ' I pushed the words to the very back of my mind. I stood on the wooden raised podium at the pack's meeting ground. Normal activities went on as my eyes scanned around the place. Every damn second Theo didn't show up my wolf and I got enraged even more. I had mind linked him the minute I had stepped feet out of Jayson's place.

'Alpha! ' His overly sweet pretentious voice dripped with spite but I remained unfazed by it.

'You're late. ' My upper lip curved upwards.

'I'm sorry alpha, my back still has problems. Ever since I came back I ha....'

'Shut up! ' I couldn't stand his cock and bull story. I was the alpha and Theo and his acquaintances would serve as an example to the rest of the pack.

'A-lpha. ' He pleaded, his form beginning to shake as the pheromones flowed into the air. I watched him closely as the force brought him down on his knees. His head tilted to the side exposing his neck. Even though alpha blood ran in his veins, his wolf wasn't a match to mine. I was traditionally handed the alpha title, that clearly gave me dominance over his blood.

'Where were you when I mind linked you? ' My hands were now inside my pockets and so were the wooden darts. I circled him, my lips curving downwards in nothing but pure, unadulterated rancour. His relaxed demeanour made me realise he had no clue that I had seen him earlier.

'On the pack burial grounds. ' He answered with no fear whatsoever but his heart beat betrayed his tranquil comportment.

'I can hear your pulse Theo, you're lying. ' Cool as a cucumber, my voice gave away nothing as I stopped circling him.

'I swear Ryk..'

'I dare you to finish that statement. ' I grasped his chin with my thumb and index finger. The pressure was enough to hold the big man in place and my beast relished in it all. I was his cousin but the alpha above all. He was to address me as such, otherwise there would be hell to pay.

I heard my mate's scent even before I saw her. There wasn't a single soul around, they fled the moment I collectively ordered them through the pack's mind link to desert the place. I didn't look at her as she approached and stood beside me. I could feel her raw emotions calling unto my wolf and I.

I refused to let her distract me, her words had awoken a beast, an animal they had no choice but to embrace. 'I was at the pack burial grounds, alone. ' My mate dragged the word alone in between her teeth, and I swear I saw the corner of his mouth twitch in malignance.

'Yo--u must have missed me when the Alpha summoned me. ' His eyes remained cast on the ground as he attempted to fabricate another lie.

'Oh that's interesting because I was at Jayson's place before I came here. ' I paused to listen to his pulse as it skyrocketed to a point I thought he would get a heart attack. My admission seemed to sink deep because he fidgeted on his knees.

'Guess who I saw there peeking at the living room window? ' I let go of his chin and let out a loud laugh that left my upper abdomen hurting. His eyes widened a fraction, his reflection was indeed that of a guilty person. It was downright what I had expected from him once I had brought up my beta's place.

'I will ask one more time Theo, where the fuck were you? ' Low, minacious and demanding, we were done playing games.

'I told you I was at the burial grounds visiting my mother! ' He clenched his teeth, his nostrils flaring as I pushed him to his limit.

'How dare you lie to your alpha! ' I backhanded him, the force as my hand came into contact with his cheek making Tamara flinch. He closed his eyes briefly, then opened them, his mouth set in a grim line. His hands remained behind his back, his heartbeat however refused to slow down. With every millisecond that went by, the palpitations soared.