Chapter 6.

The Kidemonas camp was hidden behind an illusion, revealing a sprawling tent city instead of just a dozen tents and a small fire. 

It was brilliantly lit with a mixture of witchlights that danced above their heads, clustering where the most people were, or the stationary fairy lights wrapped around poles and strung between tent frames. 

Torches were interspersed every fifty feet and signs in a language that Harry was pretty sure was Greek pointed out directions to large tents that seemed public. 

Several animals were wandering around, large dogs and birds of prey that seemed to be more intelligent than normal dogs and birds. 

"My name is Yasmin, by the way." The friendly Kidemonas said, taking off her mask to reveal green eyes, blood red hair with crystal beads braided in and black paint across her nose and under her eyes. "You can call me Jazz." 

"Hey, Jazz!" Someone called. "Who’s your friend?" 

"This is Harry! He's bunking with me tonight." Jazz replied, stopping by one of the fires, which several people around Harry's age were sitting. 

"You let Him know, right?" Someone asked, a boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes dressed in muggle clothes. 

"Like Harry would have gotten past the border if he didn't approve." 

"Fair." The blonde replied. "Will Solace. I'm the resident physician and infirmary administrator." He held out his hand for Harry to shake. "It's nice to meet you." 

"Hey, kid!" 

Two boys with pointed ears and mischievous grins swore and pulled their hood up, suddenly vanishing from Harry's sight. 

A burly girl with stringy brown hair, Greek armor and red eyes shoved her way to Harry, who already had a hand on his wand, ready to draw. 

"Heard Harry Potter was in camp." She said, "I also heard a rumor you killed a Drakon at 12." 

"Drakon?" Harry asked, bewildered at her curiosity about something besides that night and also very impressed with the Kidemonas rumor mill.

Actually, speaking of the boy-who-lived fame,  no Kidemonas had asked or even looked at his scar beyond the full body scan everyone was doing. He figured they were sizing him up. He had seen bullies do it time and time again.

"Wizards call them Basilisks." Someone yelled. "Which is ridiculous. Basilisks are tiny things that breathe acid and fear and despise weasels with everything in their tiny, bitter hearts."  

The Guardian next to him turned. "I think you need to see Alex about that." 

"We're working on it." 

"That's good."

"Oh, yeah. Down in the Chamber of Secrets." Harry nodded, as a falcon landed on a tent behind him. 

The girl grinned and clapped him on the shoulder, knocking the breath out of him. "Ha! Great job kid! You'll fit right in. Names Clarrisse. Third in command, infantry commander and head combat instructor. If you end up staying longer than the night, swing by and I'll pound some skills into you. And get yourself checked out by Will. Your leg hasn't healed right."

Then she was gone.

"Oh my gods, Clareisse approves of you." Jazz said. "She didn't do that to me until I took out a dracena with a butter knife." 

"A what?" 

"Snake lady." Jazz said. "Now, come on. Let's get you set up" 

"I want him in my office tomorrow morning, Jazz." Will said. "He has more issues than an improperly healed femur." 

Jazz nodded and pushed her way past the crowd, herding Harry towards a tent covered in silver runes, a large dog with a green collar sleeping outside.

Shoving him inside, she swung her cloak off her shoulders, revealing Greek armor covered in even more runes. 

"Guest room is back there." She said, "Go on. I need to get out of my armor." 

Harry quickly scurried back, a bit frightened of the smaller mage and into a curtained off room, where a simple bed, wardrobe and nightstand stood, along with a few generic pictures of landscapes. It looked like a hotel room almost, simple and impersonal. 

"Hey, Kid!" Harry jumped as Jazz, now clad in a purple gown, stuck her head into the guest room. "I'm going back out. Stay in the tent and don't touch anything that glows, moves or makes noises. It's enchanted. It's Samhain so no matter what you hear, stay inside." 

She snapped her fingers and the only shelf in the room filled with books, a plate full of small biscuits appearing on the desk. "If you get hungry or bored, here. I'll be back at one. Stay in here. It won't be pretty if a non-Kidemonas sees our Samhain rituals. Any other night I would stuff you full of marshmallows and let you hang but…"

"I'll stay here." Harry promised. He was only crazy enough to accept a bed here, not directly disobey a Kidemonas. 

"Good. Boreí o Perséas na sas prostatéfsei kathós koimáste." 

And then she was gone. 

Harry sat down on the bed. "What did I just get myself into?"