Chapter 21

Harry's vision swam as he struggled to get free, his head having slammed on a rock or something similar when the Triwizard cup turned portkey had dropped him. 

When he came to, he was tied to something tall and rough, his arm bleeding sluggishly. 

"Ah, our boy hero awakes." A cold voice said. "And just in time too." 

Aw schist. Harry thought before forcing his eyes to focus, his scar beginning to burn as a man with the face of a snake and wearing dark robes approached him. 

Voldemort had been reborn, using Harry's blood in what looked like a ritual Harry had seen in one of Jazz's sketchier books which was just fan-fucking-tastic. 

He was also in a graveyard, because necromancy had to take place in a graveyard, it was the rules. The absolutely  massive and disturbingly empty ritual cauldron (honestly can you just give the dark wizard aesthetic a break?) a few feet away, oh, and a newborn dark lord coming towards him, looking rather pleased to have finally been reborn.

Behind the dark lord sat a familiar wizard, Wormtail clutching at a bloody stump of an arm. 

"With your blood flowing in my veins, Potter, I no longer fear your Mother's protection. I can now touch you!" 

Voldemort reached out, placing a finger directly on the lightning bolt and Harry's world was turned to pain. 

He screamed for what felt like hours until finally, the Dark Lord released him.

The coin around Harry's neck began to heat up, magic flowing around him. 

Have you made a decision? 

"And now you shall be witness to by return, as the greatest wizard of all."

Harry gasped as Voldemort waved his wand, letting him fall to the ground as the ropes holding him there vanished, collapsing in the grass as his limbs refused to obey him. 

Voldemort strode over to Wormtail, grabbing his wrist and running his wand down the dark mark branded onto his skin. 

The sounds of apparating wizards filled the air, but all Harry could hear was the sound of the ocean. 

I would like to know your answer. Do you have one for me?

Harry gasped as magic started to sink into his skin, healing his injuries. 

What is it?

"Yes." 

Then give me your oath, and entrust yourself to me. 

"Death Eaters!" Voldemort called. "I have returned!" 

"I, Harry Potter, last of the Potters, so swear myself to Perseus, God of Heros." 

"But not all of you have been loyal to me!" 

"I swear to be loyal, to never turn my back to you or my brothers and sisters." 

"Some of you abandoned me in favor of avoiding prison, while the most loyal of you rot in Azkaban." 

"I know that by taking this oath, I am relinquishing my right to a peaceful death, and that is a burden I am willing to take." 

"What hardships must have befallen you, to refuse me even as you knew that I still yet lived." 

"I swear to join your ranks, a masked savior, an unknown hero, a shadow, a story, a legend." 

"Now here we stand, the stuff of nightmares to the good little light wizards and witches. We will reign terror upon them and the muggles alike. 

"I leave behind the mortal world, and embrace your world full heartedly." 

"But I am forgiving to those who swear themselves, so come, and renew your vows." 

"With this oath, I now join the Kidemonas." 

Perseus appeared in the clearing, a smokey illusion, reaching out for Harry and he took the god's hand,  the smoke surprisingly solid. "I accept your oath." 

Magic flowed through the clearing as the god's power flowed to Harry, giving him all the blessings a guardian would need to survive even as something dark in his scar burned, finally vanishing under the onslaught. 

Harry stood, injuries healing themselves and a familiar blade appearing in his hands. 

Almost there. Hold out just a little while.

Yes, milord. 

"Ah. The young hero wishes to fight." Voldemort said. "Very well. Your defeat shall be witnessed by my followers firsthand. Wormtail. His wand." 

Wormtail shakily pulled the holly and Phoenix wand from his pocket. 

"Ah. Do not think I have forgotten about you." Voldemort drawled, and a silver hand appeared on the stump where Wormtail apparently hacked his own hand off. 

Wormtail tossed the wand to Harry and began thanking his master. 

"Do you know how to duel, Harry Potter?" Voldemort began as Harry picked up his wand. "First we- Protego!" 

Harry's sword came crashing down on Voldemort's shield, the impact causing the spell to crack. He wasn't really the best at controlling his new speed but then again, he hadn't really intended to stop. 

Harry used the shield as a springboard, vaulting into the air, deflecting two spells with his gauntlets and coming down hard on Voldemort once again, a shieldbreaker hex cast microseconds before impact. 

This time, the shield shattered, and the broadsword tasted flesh, Voldemort bleeding a strange clear substance from his shoulder. 

"I know how to duel like a guardian, you snake faced bastard." Harry spat.

Wands were raised as Voldemort screamed his rage, fire spitting from his wand, which Harry probably should have been aiming at earlier. The head was just as good, he supposed. 

Spells filled the air as Harry took cover behind a tombstone.

He rolled into new cover as a blasting curse took out Victor Dubenich's headstone and hid behind Marget Duvois's, who was hopefully made of sterner stuff. 

A death eater screamed in agony and Harry risked poking his head out to see what had happened especially since the spellfire aimed had him had subsided considerably. 

A guardian stood on the body of a death eater, a coffee cup in her hand and green eyes glowing with magic. "Sorry, we're late." 

Death eaters apparently greatly feared the guardians, as they started to apparate out, one even grabbing Voldemort and forcibly side along apparating him away. 

Movement to his left was Harry's only warning as a snake lunged, sword raised to slice it in half, only to be caught by Clarrisse's inhumanly strong grip. "Aren't you nasty?" She growled, red eyes gleaming with bloodlust. 

In an incredibly gross display, she grabbed the massive serpent with her other hand and crushed its skull. 

Harry wasn't terribly surprised, but it just reconfirmed that Clarrisse was the scariest Guardian who wasn't Annabeth herself. 

"You okay, brat?" She asked, tossing the corpse down. 

"Yeah." 

She nodded to his sword. "Who did you cut?" 

"The Dark lord." 

Clarrisse grinned. "So much better than the Minotaur, huh, Prissy?" She asked someone behind him. 

Harry turned to see Perseus smiling at him looking exactly the same as he had the day he comforted Harry in that tree. "He did well. I'm happy to have you."