Chapter 22

Four pegasi trotted out from the trees, one a pale green with seaweed mane.

"Roach?" Harry said, running his fingers down the golden bridle. 

"He refused to share you with a pegasus so we came to a compromise." Percy explained before winking. "I am a god. This is child's play for us." 

Roach nickered. 

"He says he wants to watch the Witcher with you, to know where his name comes from." 

"Sure." Harry promised. "When things settle down, we'll have a marathon." 

Roach nickered and let Harry mount up, the others taking off as soon as he did.

The flight back to Hogwarts was filled with all the things Harry had missed, stories of gods and monsters and the demigods of history. 

"Your mum was one of us." Jazz said. "She worked under Leo and me for enchantment. I'm sorry I didn't tell you but we wanted the decision to join to be yours, not you chasing a legacy. We would have told you even if you said no." 

Harry felt a bit hurt, but it also confirmed all of his suspicions. Jazz was his aunt, Lily's older half sister. 

"We just have to pack up camp and we'll start heading out. We need to pick up those hooligans as well." 

"Hooligans?" Harry asked and Travis grinned wickedly.

"I have a pair of proteges. Wizards like you. They are mad geniuses. I'm happy I get to steal them. so many pranks, all of eternity to prank." 

Clarrisse growled menacingly.

 "And teach them all the people to avoid." Travis amended, which made the guardians laugh. 

Clarrisse turned to Harry. "We found the wizard who shot the portkey at you. Professor Moody but it's actually a death eater using polyjuice. He's been handled. However, while he did place your name in the goblet, he wasn't the only one to do so. We found two slips, both of which had your handwriting. We are investigating the second but I doubt we will find an answer before we leave." 

"Thank you for telling me." Harry said. "And I have a suspicion on who else put my name in." 

Clarrisse nodded and moved to make way.

Perseus pulled up on his pegasus, a beautiful pure black mustang that had harassed Harry for snacks multiple times in the stables. "I'm glad to have you. Thank you for joining my guardians." 

"Thank you for having me." Harry said and the god grinned. 

"Race you." He said, and the group of four dove towards the ground, not stopping until they passed through Hogwarts wards. 

The three elder Guardians put their masks and cloaks on, leaving Harry as the only recognizable one. 

They landed in the quidditch pitch, where crowds cheered upon their arrival, the other three champions waiting, looking a little worse for wear. 

"Where is the cup?" A voice said. 

"Little Hangleton." Jazz said. "You will also find the remains of a homunculus ritual there. Our contract is completed. Goodbye." 

"Wait! We don't have a winner!" Bagman protested. "The triwizard isn't over yet!" 

Dumbledore was coming over, eyes intent on Harry. He was more intelligent and quick on the uptake than most, and he realized what Harry having his own Pegasus meant.

"I'm afraid you don't have a champion." Harry said, finally getting to use the I cannot adequately explain how few fucks I give voice. "I refused to touch it." 

"Harry, my boy. Let's talk." Dumbledore said. 

"I'm afraid I'm not your anything, Dumbledore." Harry said, feeling years of pent up resentment rear their head. "Not your student, not your pawn and most certainly not your 'boy'." 

Jazz was grinning and Guardians were starting to close in, watching the chaos. 

Dumbledore paled, hand moving to his wand. "Harry. Be reasonable. The Kidemonas are dangerous. The Wizarding world is your home. You aren't like them." 

Harry grinned, dark and malicious. He reached into his pocket and removed a Holly and Phoenix feather wand, gripping it in both hands. "Sorry Dumbledore, but I have far more in common with them then the wizards, especially as of half an hour ago. Because, with this vow, I now join the Guard." 

Sparks flew as the wand snapped in half, sending out a wave of magic that sank into his secondary now primary foci gloves and falling to the ground as lifeless splinters. 

The Guardians cheered, a stark contrast to the rage that had settled over Dumbledore's face. 

"Harry. Come here. Now." He ordered, pulling his wand from his pocket, which caught Percy's attention, but it was more of a now how did you get your hands on that little thing then the come on, make my day look Clarrisse was giving it. "I understand that you are angry with some of the things that have happened recently, but that is no reason to abandon your people. Let's talk this out." 

Instead, Harry kicked his kelpie turned pegasus gently, turning to where the others were waiting. "I'm done playing your games, Dumbledore. This is the last you'll see of me." 

The pegasus trotted away even as Travis bemoaned the fact Dumbledore hadn't snapped and attacked, even if he was watching intently for any sign of a coronary. 

"Mr. Potter." McGonagall shouted, running up to him. "I don't know exactly what has transpired between you and the headmaster but you cannot abandon our world for these Guardians. What would your mother and father say?" 

"What my parents would want is irrelevant. However, I feel that they would be proud of me joining the guard." Harry said, showing McGonagall his now most precious possession, a picture of his mother in a guardian cloak, shoulder to shoulder with Jazz and Percy, a gift from the god himself.

McGonagall closed her eyes. "I suppose that explains a lot about your mother. I cannot stop you then." 

Harry said nothing and McGonagall sighed. 

"I regret how I've treated you these last few months, but I especially regret leaving you at Privet drive. Blood wards my arse. If Lily was a guardian, then the Dursley's were nothing more than a cover."

"I suppose it was." Harry said, not quite having realized that yet. He wondered if Petunia had known. 

"I wish you the best of luck then, Mr. Potter. I only ask that you tell Padfoot your decision personally. The man can't take losing you too without answers." 

Harry felt that she was legitimately trying to make amends instead of manipulating him, so he nodded. "I'll see what I can do." 

"Goodbye, Mr. Potter. Perhaps we will meet again." 

"Goodbye Professor. Thank you for teaching me." 

Harry turned his pegasus and galloped after the other Guardians. 

"I told the Minister what we found." Percy said, pulling up next to Harry. "He doesn't believe me but I have no doubt that we will be requested to fight him eventually. Will we take that contract?" 

Harry blinked owlishly. "You're letting me decide?" 

Percy shrugged. "I've never really been one to force my guardians into situations they don't want to be in." 
Harry thought about it. "For what he did to my parents, yeah, I would want to fight. But for the Guard, not for the wizards." 

From Percy's grin, he had answered right.