Chapter 14

"Mr.Potter." 

Harry looked up from his transfiguration text to see McGonagall looking at him. "Please stay after class." 

Harry nodded as the rest of the class snickered at him. 

After the classroom had cleared, the entire class sneering and making snide remarks as they passed, Harry walked up to the Gryffindor Head of House. 

"Yes, ma'am?" 

"As I am the Head of your former house, it falls to me to inform you of the upcoming Yule Ball. Champions are expected to open it with a dance, which means you are in need of a partner." 

Harry blinked. "Not only do I have to attend a Ball but I have to find a date for it and actually dance?" 

"Essentially. Good day, Mr. Potter." 

____________
"Well that was rude." 

Harry looked to his left to see today's guard standing here, hood down to reveal blonde hair. "It's nothing new." 

"Doesn't mean you should have to take that schist." The guardian sneered. It was strange for someone else to be annoyed for Harry and the wizard wasn't quite sure how to handle it.

"I'm Maddie. I'm filling in for Markus until he gets back." 

"Thank you." 

"I take it, you can't dance?" 

"Never even tried." 

Maddie laughed. "Every day from noon to four, my siblings and I work on our next performance in the northern quadrant. Perhaps you can find a teacher there." 

"Thank you." Harry said, much more earnestly. 

_____________
Will, the doctor, was there, which Harry was grateful for as it saved him the effort of making friends and getting them to teach him, although it was a bit awkward when Will used the lesson as an excuse to have an impromptu physical. 

"Move your left leg back two inches, any pain?" 

Harry did as instructed, slowly moving through the ballroom dance Will was trying to drill into his head. 

"Good. Now any soreness in the upper thigh or hip?"

-----------
"Are Guardians allowed to go to the Yule Ball?" Harry asked, taking a break from trying to levitate a feather wandlessly. 

Jazz shrugged,  sitting upside down in the large bean bag chair that Harry had practiced conjuring on, a book written in Greek in her hands. "Most of us weren't really planning on attending. The Guardians have their own Yule celebrations that day. Why? Are you looking for a date?" 

Harry blushed. "Apparently I need one as a champion and my options that aren't just taking the opportunity to hex me at close range are few and far between." 

"Did you ask Luna?" Jazz asked, leaning back in her chair. 

"She's going with a Beauxbatons boy, a cousin on her father's side." Harry said. "And the rest of the Drumstrang and Beauxbatons already had  dates before they got here. Hogwarts isn't even worth mentioning." 

"I see." Jazz said sagely, but Harry recognized that glint in her eye. "Tell you what, I can hook you up with a friend of mine, but she'll probably only stay until ten. We have our own celebrations. You're invited of course." 

Harry blinked. "I thought non-Kidemonas couldn't attend Guardian Celebrations." 
"That's just for Samhain." Jazz said, waving her hand dismissively. "Yule is a time for coming together. You in?" 

"Hell yeah." Harry grinned, actually excited for Yule now. 

Jazz laughed. "By the gods, Clarrisse and I corrupted you." 

"Really, though. Thank you." Harry said. 

Jazz smirked. "What color are your dress robes?" 

"Dress robes?" Harry asked cautiously. 

Jazz stared for a few seconds before standing up and sticking her head out of the mage tent. "Vivian!"