Epilogue

The herbalist waved his wand, the root of the flowering plant he was studying lighting up blue. 

"Oh, aren't you special? I wonder what Draco can do with-" 

A roar split the jungle in half, a massive form forcing itself through the trees and towards the wizard. 

The herbalist drew his wand, shooting off stunning spells only for the Nundu to shrug them off like they were nothing. 

The herbalist cast a shield when the Nundu was mere feet away.

It batted the herbalist into a tree, shield shattering and wand going snap.

"Gi 'aftó misó tis gátes!" 

Something descended from the sky, slamming into the Nundu who screamed with pain, a giant dust cloud flaring up from the impact. 

The herbalist coughed, using wandless magic to clear the dust. 

Standing over the Nundu’s corpse, one that was rapidly turning to gold sand, was a green cloak that the herbalist hadn't seen since the triwizard tournament 50 years prior. 

The guardian turned, green eyes peering out from behind his mask.

He wore the bronze armor and cape of all guardians, but his gloves were obviously foci, magic stones humming with power. 

A tattoo was on his right arm, antlers encasing a Lily flower. Several knives were strapped to his belt, along with a sword, the Guardian tucking the spear he had used to impale the Nundu on his back, where it shrank to only a foot long. 

 "Thank you!" The herbalist said, catching the guardians attention. "That Nundu would have killed me." 

The guardian seemed amused. "A Nundu? My people call it a Thorne-y Bastard but I suppose that works. I take it you're a wizard then?" 

"Neville Longbottom." The herbalist introduced. "I'm an herbalist studying the medicinal properties of South African plants." Neville winced, feeling his age in what he was pretty sure was a fractured hip. 

The guardian kicked his way through the piles of golden sand and knelt next to the wizard. "I'm shit at healing but there is a village 20 miles south. They have a healer there. I'll take you." 

"I can just app-" Neville paused. "I broke my wand." 

The guardian laughed. "You should be grateful. The backlash is what caught my attention."

Neville shrugged. "I suppose I was lucky then." 

The guardian ran glowing hands over Neville injuries, the superficial cuts and bruises healing. 

"Can't do more than that." The guardian said. "And I can't run you there since that would kill you faster than the… Nundu. And with you on that broken bone side-along apparition is out of the question. Do you have a portkey?" 

Neville shook his head. "I'm not… technically… allowed to be here." 

The Guardian snickered. "Alright then. We'll have to make camp here and try for the village in the morning." 

Neville sighed. "I have some shrunken supplies in my bag. It's around here somewhere." 

The guardian nodded and looked around the newly formed clearing. "Found it!" He shouted, pulling Neville's pack from the underbrush. 

Thirty minutes later, a pair of tents and a fire had been set up, the older man moved to sit on some enchanted cushions and given some rations. 

"So what brings you to South Africa? The Kidemonas tend to stick to Europe and the colonies, even if they don't have to deal with travel restrictions."