Chapter 11

Harry didn't remember falling asleep but he woke up in his tent, alone except for Hedwig and the book on his nightstand. 

He grabbed his glasses, sitting up and sliding them on his nose. 

The book was in greek, but it shimmered, the words rearranging themselves to English. 

Perseus and the Lightning Thief

He set down the book, promising himself to read it tonight, and got ready for the day. Since it was the weekend, the one right before the first task, Clarrisse had scheduled some more training that he was both looking forward to and dreading, as he had come up with a plan to complete the task and was going to practice its execution over the next few days. 

With dread, weighing his steps, he strapped on his sword and headed to the training field. Hopefully there were still some muffins at the breakfast hall. 

____________
Harry rolled to a stop, panting heavily and raised his sword to fend off the downward strike he felt coming, only for it to never connect. 

"Well, it had to happen sometime." Clarrisse said, setting the tip of the broadsword in the dirt. "Cheap piece like that, I'm surprised it didn't break sooner." 

Harry's longsword lay shattered, only three inches of metal attached to the hilt, cracks running through the remains. 

With it shattered, he could see a silver glint inside the bronze, a second metal folded into the first. 

"Take the pieces to Leo. If you're gonna carry a blade you need to know your smith. He'll take care of it or hand you to another smith." 

Clarrisse pointed him towards the far corner of the camp where a massive tent was separated from the others with some kind of solution sprayed on the ground around it. 

Harry hesitantly stepped inside, feeling the heat slap him in the face like it was a solid wall.

Inside were two dozen forges, several smiths at each, all with biceps bigger than his head. 

"Repair, turn in or buying?" A girl asked, her hair typed back in a bandana as she slid out from under what looked like a mechanical...is that a giant meerkat?

"Uh, repair." 

She pointed a screwdriver at the smith in the middle, who was dancing along to Uptown Funk as he used a blowtorch to weld together a shield grip. 

"You like?" She asked, patting the meerkat shoulder. "When Mallissa is done, she'll be more vicious than a honey badger and twice as poisonous as a chimera."

Harry quickly made his way past her, having to cast a cooling charm, and then a full body shield spell that Jazz had taught him as the heat grew to unbearable heights the closer he got to the middle of the forge tent.

"Yo! You must be Harry." The teen in the middle called out. He had bronze skin, wild hair and goggles shoved up on his forehead so he could see the wizard. "Names Leo Valdez, the original boy who lived. I remember how I did it too. Hades is still pissed off about it." 

"Uh what?" Harry said, as the sword pieces were snatched from his hand. 

"Yeah. I had to join the guardians so he couldn't set me on FIRE!" 

A Fireball suddenly exploded to life, the smith screaming as he burned. 

"Aguamenti!" Harry yelled, spraying water on the smith and sending steam everywhere. 

The others in the forge started laughing at the soaked smith, some taking pictures from what looked like modified phones. 

"Most people just scream when I do that." Leo pouted.

Harry instantly grew annoyed. "Most people haven't spent three years in a classroom with Seamus Finnigan." He shot back. 

Leo grinned widely, a trace of madness in his eyes. He kinda looked like Sirius in that aspect "Remind me to meet this Seamus." 

"No!" Someone yelled, but was ultimately ignored. 

Leo relit the forges with a wave of his hand, fire licking his arms and hammer as he worked. "One mortal steel/mortal bronze blade, coming right up." He said, pounding away at the superheated metal. "Stop. Wait a minute. Fill my cup, put some liquor in it. Take a sip, sign a check. Julio, get the stretch. Ride to Harlem, Hollywood, Jackson, Mississippi. If we show up, we gon' show out. Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy. I'm too hot!"

"Hot dam!" The other smiths called, Harry starting to get mildly amused by the entire tent's antics. 

"Call the police and the fireman." The smith sang, somehow having the pieces already fused together. "There we go!" Leo said, dunking the now fixed blade in the water bucket Harry had so graciously filled trying to douse Leo. "Tell Clarrisse that next time she wants you back by six, I need more heads-up then a single morning." 

Harry had to process for a second. "She broke it on purpose!?"

---------------
Percy leaned back in his chair, rubbing his eyes as he groaned. "Squad eight and five on the ground. Clarrisse. I want you with the Pegasus unit tomorrow."

Clarisse growled. "All the action will be on the ground. The dragon's are chained." 

"With steel." Annabeth argued. "I'd place money on at least one line breaking. Especially on the Horntail."

"Fine. I'll go with Aditi and her squad." 

"What about the champions?" Percy asked, sitting up. "What are their plans?" 

"Krum will be using powerful spells to injure the dragon." Micheal, head of Krum's squad, said. 

"Fleur will be using her voice to enchant it to sleep." Said another squad leader. 

"Cedric plans to distract the dragon with transfiguration." Said the third. 

"Jazz?" Percy asked. 

"Harry plans to use a summoning spell and his broom. He hopes to out fly the thing. Clarrisse has been running him through dodging drills both on and off the broom." 

Percy nodded. "Good plans. I still want Travis and Conner ready to snatch a champion out of harm's way. Remember, we cannot get involved until there is unavoidable danger to the crowds, or the egg has been retrieved. Any questions? Dismissed."