Chapter 17

"Who the fuck is singing in Mermish this early in the morning!?" A boy yelled, interrupting breakfast even more than the screaming egg had. 

Harry perked up, the golden egg held tight against his chest as he fought to seal it once more after the Stolls had taken it upon themselves to distract and then open it while he ate.

Apparently, two months was far too long for him to keep it around. 

"Mermish?" He asked as a rather annoyed Markus stomped over. 

Markus...could have been better. He had dark bags under his eyes, bed hair and looked like he had gone ten rounds with Clarrisse and lost all of them.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked as Markus plopped down, scowling at the egg. 

"Could be dead." Markus said, which Harry had learned was the Guardian version of "Could be worse." 

"I take it your patrol didn't go well?" 

"Harry. If you do join up, pray you never have to fight Pixie riders." The guardian shuddered. "So many." 

"You're back now?" The wizard offered and Markus sighed.

"At least I have off until May." He shuttered once more.

Harry looked concerned before ultimately disregarding it. "So this sings in Mermish?" 

Markus gave the egg a look that may have fried it then and there had it been an actual egg. "Go listen to it underwater. I'm getting eggs and then going back to bed." 

"Okay. Night." 

____________
Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching ponder this;

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And to recover what we took,

But past an hour, the prospect's black,

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.

Harry surfaced, shivering slightly from the chilly waters of the Black Lake. 

"So?" Jazz asked, looking perfectly warm in her cloak, safely on shore. 

Harry dutifully repeated the song and let the mage contemplate. 

"Well, it looks like you need to learn how to swim better. Let's introduce you to Andy."

----------
Andy was a teenage girl, with long black hair and sea green eyes. 

She was also the best swimmer, water elemental and water combatant in the Guard.

"If you drown with me here then not even the gods can save you." Andy grinned, her smile reminding Harry of the Guardian that had comforted him after his first confrontation with Dumbledore. 

He hadn't been seen since and Harry hoped he was okay. 

--------------
Valentine's day had been… interesting. 

Turns out the Guardians didn't celebrate Valentine's day. 

Instead, they celebrated Lupercalia, and went around, drinking wine and feasting, dressed not in green but in red and white. 

"Perseus has a soft spot for Pan and Lupa." Jazz explained. "So we celebrate the best we can, even if we cannot celebrate in its fullest." 

Harry was rather glad, as according to a rather drunk Sophia, there was supposed to be a blood sacrifice of a couple goats and dog, which sent one of the various dog packs that wandered the camp scampering away, and something about woman but the Guardian had been slurring her words by then and was dragged off to sleep.

Harry decided that it didn't matter if people were Wizards, Muggles, Kidemonas or something else. People were just weird.