Chapter 20

The final task was a maze. 

A massive, magical, terrifying maze. 

"Best of luck with that." Jazz said, slapping Harry on the shoulder. "At least it's not the Labyrinth. Annabeth shut that down a while ago." 

Harry nodded, remembering the story of Daedalus and how he finally moved on to the Underworld, entrusting his notes and blueprints to the Lieutenant. 

He had been pouring over those books Annabeth had gifted him for a while now, and now knew for certain that not only was Perseus real, but he was often in the camp. He even had a suspicion on just who it was. 

He also knew the oath.

"The Guard tried to map the Labyrinth for a while." Jazz said. "It was fun, but we never actually pulled it off. Didn't have the technology back then." 

"Map." Harry said, and was suddenly digging in his bag. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." 

The parchment filled with ink as Jazz peered over his shoulder. 

Flipping to the quidditch pitch, the wizard grinned widely as the hedge maze appeared. "Fuck yeah." He said. 

Jazz grinned. "That is so much better than that fucking string. "

----------
Harry was ready. He had the map, his braces, gloves, and thin armor under his robes. 

Before him the maze loomed, enchanted to be imposing. 

A few paces away, a Guardian perched impossibly on the hedges. Around him was a shimmer, like a heat mirage, making his image fuzzy. Harry had started seeing it after the second task, but hadn't mentioned he could see invisible Guardians. Somehow, he figured everyone already knew.

 As for the maze? Jazz said it was filled with all sorts of nasties. Apparently, the Guard had started rewriting the guidebook on wizarding creatures after seeing the stuff they let loose into the hedges. 

"Harry, my boy." 

Harry rolled his eyes but turned to see Dumbledore smiling genially at him.

"Yes, Headmaster?" 

"I'm glad I caught you before the task. I wanted to discuss something with you with a mutual furry friend. He was hoping you could come visit him over the summer."

So this was his ploy. Holding Sirius above his head. 'Listen to me and you can see him.' 

Jazz was behind him, shimmering as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. 

"I see. Excuse me, Headmaster. I have a task to finish." 

"You okay?" She asked once Dumbeldore was away and looking annoyed. 

"Yeah. Just one last thing and I'm free." Harry grinned. "He didn't-?" 

"No. I was watching closely. You're fine." 

Jazz chuckled at Harry's relieved face. "You know, even Clarrisse is excited. She can't wait to see if her investment pays off." 

Harry shuttered. "Makes me reconsider." 

Jazz laughed, high and clear. "I'm rooting for you, Harry. We all are. See you on the other side."

She rubbed his shoulder reassuringly and vanished in that burst of speed Guardians were rather infamous for at this point.  

Krum went first, followed by Cedric, then Fleur and finally Harry. 

The Maze was ominously quiet, the sounds of the cheering, or rather booing, once Harry was the last champion outside the hedges, cutting off with a snap.