chapter three.

MAY 2015

"Luciana! That table still needs their drinks!" Mrs. Rodriguez pinched Lucy's arm. Lucy groaned from her spot behind the cash register. It wasn't her original plan to cover a shift at her parents' restaurant, but a waitress had called in saying her son had gotten sick so she had to go.

She had recently met Claudia Donovan, the love of Ben's life, as Lucy liked to call her. She was nice, pretty, smart, everything about her was perfect. She had a stable job and as far as Lucy knew, she was raised by one parent. Claudia even liked Twilight, which was a major win for Lucy.

Speaking of Claudia and Ben, they were currently sitting at a table waiting to be served. Technically it was another waitress' turn to serve them, but Lucy pushed the waitress away and smiled at the couple. "Welcome to prime time bitches, what do you want?" She quoted her favorite Freddy Kruger line.

"Hi, Lucy, sorry for leaving you this morning. I got distracted," Claudia apologized.

"I could tell the second you got up, but it's okay. I got to watch Twilight with the dealer again. He's so chill. You should meet him—" Ben cut off Lucy.

"Uh, no! Claudia is not going to meet a drug dealer. She's a teacher, Luce!" Ben said.

"Okay, and? Are you telling me teachers don't roll a joint once in a while to relax after teaching shitty kids all day?" Lucy looked at Claudia for help.

"There was a chemistry teacher who stared dealing meth because he was dying of cancer," Claudia told Ben, who looked concerned. For a second, Ben believed it, "i'm just joking, that's literally Breaking Bad."

"You are the light of my life, Claudia Donovan, the joy and pure happiness now." Lucy smiled.

"Don't let Andrew Garfield hear that. He'll get jealous." Ben teased.

"Like you didn't get a tiny bit jealous when i mentioned Garrett. I saw, don't think I didn't notice," Claudia smirked at the man beside her.

Lucy laughed loudly. "Oh my god, please tell me more, teacher Claudia." She placed two beers in front of the couple.

"No, no, we don't need to talk about that because there is nothing to talk about. Absolutely nothing." Ben grabbed the bottle and drank from it.

"So I could spend time with a guy I know has a crush on me and you wouldn't say anything?" Claudia questioned.

Lucy decided it was a good time to interrupt. "Wait, so you know this Garrett guy has the hots for you but it took you a while to realize this guy who can't operate his Instagram account would literally give you the whole world?"

"Okay, wow, that's one way to put it," Ben whispered.

"You truly have a way with words, Lucy, but yes. I don't like Garrett as my significant other, he's been wanting to take me out on a date since my first year teaching. He just doesn't know when to stop," Claudia grabbed her beer and took a sip, putting it back down and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

"He doesn't leave you alone?" Ben turned to her. "I get a day off Monday, I'll be sure to bring you lunch."

"Why don't you throw Garrett down the stairs while you're at it, lover boy?" Lucy teased back.

"I wouldn't do that," Ben said, "that's Janis' job and she would do it brilliantly."