chapter twenty two.

After saying goodbye to Ashley and her dad, Lucy and Andrew were parked in front of Ben's apartment building. It was about ten thirty, but Lucy didn't want to end the night yet. She had fun getting to know Ashley. Even Andrew had plenty of laughs with her dad. Lucy couldn't believe that someone she liked was actually getting along with her dad

Both her and Andrew had their car seats leaned all the way back. While Andrew stared at his car ceiling, Lucy stared at the side of his face. She used his jacket as a blanket to cover herself.

"It's unfair. Your side profile is beautiful." Lucy commented.

"That's where you're wrong," Andrew chuckled. "Have you seen yours?"

"Are you sure you're a leo?"

They bursted out laughing. Andrew then grabbed his phone went to Spotify and clicked on his most recently played song which was a Beatles song that Lucy didn't know. Ben often was surprised she didn't know many Beatles songs, but Lucy always brought up the fact that she didn't grow up listening to the british band. That and the fact that the Beatles had too many fucking songs.

"Can I put a song?" Lucy asked. In her house, Lucy was never allowed to put her own music. She would secretly buy CDs and use her brother's old stereo to play them whenever her mom was out of the house. She quickly learned that she loved Amy Winehouse, Fiona Apple and Elliott Smith more than her own mother.

"Go for it." Andrew handed her his phone.

Lucy took the phone and started typing Fiona Apple into the search bar. She clicked on her favorite song, 'I Know', and gave the phone back to Andrew.
"I think this was the first song I learned how to play on piano."

"You know how to play piano?" Andrew asked shocked by the fact that Lucy could play.

"Yeah, I haven't played in a long time, but I took lessons from my math teacher in middle school. She had this after school program with the music teacher and they taught kids how to play guitars, drums, basically any instrument the school had. I chose piano." Lucy explained. She then remembered the day her mom found out about her piano lessons.

"Lucy, we can't afford these lessons! Your brothers are already in soccer, basketball and football! Tell your teacher you can't go back!" Her mom told her after picking her up from school.

"Mom, they're free! It's everyday after school-" A young Lucy tried to make her mother understand.

"I don't care. What if you one day want a piano? They're not free! Are you going to pay for it?" Lucy stayed silent. "That's what I thought. We should just stop with the piano before you start asking for an expensive piano."

"But Isaac gets to go to Vegas and Florida every year! Daniel and Leo get new shoes every month!"

"Leo needs those shoes to play football and Basketball. Isaac gets to go on his trips because his championship games are in different cities. You have to understand that those sports are what make your brothers happy."

"Why didn't I go to Isaac's last championship game? He told me you guys went to New York."

The truth? Melina didn't want to pay for another airplane ticket so instead of her or her husband staying behind, she had left Lucy in her sister's driveway with a weeks worth of clothes in a tiny pink suitcase and ten dollars. Lucy wasn't even told that her family had gone away to New York. Melina told her that her cousin Vanessa wanted a sleepover. That's what Melina told the whole family.

"Vanessa wanted a sleepover." Melina said.

"She ignored me the whole time I was there."

"Luciana, just stop!"

That's when Lucy used the sweet sound of Amy, Fiona and Elliott to throw out the annoying voice of her mom out of her head. And it worked, well most of the time.

"You'll have to play for me sometime. If you're okay with it. . . " Andrew looked over at her.

"I'd love to."

an: i know by fiona apple is my fav <3 also any amy and elliott song are my favs i love them so much 🖤

anyways shit is about to get sad because we are deep diving into the mommy issues of miss lucy :/ which may or may not be mine aswell BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT GOODNIGHT LOVE Y'ALL <3