chapter eighteen.

Lucy woke up to the TV playing in the background. She groaned as her eyes fluttered open, the sunlight hitting directly in her face. Apart from the noise coming from the TV, she heard laughter coming from the small kitchen.

"If that's Ben laughing, shut up! If it's Claudia, please laugh all you want." Lucy forced herself up and sighed deeply.

"Lucy Rodriguez, you wound my heart everyday." Ben said dramatically.

"Good, that's my goal until the day I die which is never," Lucy walked to the kitchen and took Ben's favorite mug from the cabinet. "Any plans for you two lovesick kids?"

"Nothing much, we're just going to go shopping then go get lunch. Wanna join?" Claudia asked.

"As much as I would love to be the third wheel in this relationship, I'm going to sit this one out. I'm having a self care day today, my dear friends."

"Watching cartoons is not self care-" Ben interrupted her.

"I love cartoons!" Claudia said at the same time as Ben.

Lucy watched Ben's expression change when Claudia announced her love for animated series. She walked over to the pot of coffee and poured the hot liquid into the mug. "What was that, Ben? Couldn't hear you over my best friend saying she loves cartoons!"

Lucy went back to the couch and set her hot mug on top of a coaster. Ben always scolded her for not using one. Half an hour later, Ben and Claudia were out of the apartment. Lucy didn't really enjoy standing in stores looking through racks of clothing. Sometimes she did, it always depended on her mood. She instead found comfort and joy in cartoons. Her mom always told her she was immature for watching them, but Lucy didn't care. She enjoyed it.

On Saturday mornings, Lucy and her dad would get up early to watch reruns of Teen Titans and Courage The Cowardly Dog. That was their thing, her brothers didn't care for cartoons, they preferred to watch wrestling or horror movies that they weren't allowed to watch. But Lucy and her dad had cartoons.

Lucy grabbed the remote to change the channel. She eventually found a channel that was streaming a cartoon she recently discovered called 'Over The Garden Wall'. As the episode went on, a knock on the door made her groan and get up. She opened the door and saw Andrew holding a brown paper bag in his hands.

"I brought breakfast," he smiled at the brown haired girl. "sorry this is unannounced, but Ben said I could come over."

"Oh . . . Well, he went out with Claudia. I have no idea when they'll be back so you can wait here or come back later." Lucy said, not knowing that the real reason Andrew decided to show up.

Andrew didn't really know how to explain that he wasn't looking for Ben. He was usually talkative, it was impossible to get him to stop rambling,  but for some reason Lucy Rodriguez left him speechless. He considered that a good thing. He would often go on about love at first sight during interviews. He was a believer of that sort of thing, he just didn't think it would ever happen to him.

"Lucy?" He cleared his throat.

"Yeah?" She spoke softly.

"Do you want to have breakfast with me?"

Lucy's lips slowly turned into a smile. For someone who was a huge fan of Andrew, she looked okay being in his presence, but internally, Lucy was freaking out. She didn't know why Andrew would even want to speak with her, let alone have breakfast together, but she would never pass up the opportunity.

"Yes, I'll have breakfast with you. . . under one condition." She said.

"Anything, yeah. What is it?"

"We have to watch over the garden wall together."

That didn't seem like a bad way to start a morning. Lucy was happy, Andrew finally felt all those emotions that Ben mentioned when he talked about his relationship with Claudia. Andrew was in love, he liked that feeling . . no, he loved being in love with Lucy.

An: theres this tiktok that i saw a while back that reminds me of andrew and lucy so here is that tiktok but with my two favorite lovers :)

[andrew carrying lucy on his back because she's tired and he's being a good bf]

lucy: he's carrying me because i'm a fucking princess queen

andrew: she's my princess queen <3

lucy: he's my bitch