chapter thirteen.

Lucy woke up early the next morning. When she walked to the kitchen, still in her pajama shorts and old t-shirt, she was greeted by her mom. Lucy didn't say anything, she just walked towards the refrigerator and grabbed the milk. She reached above the fridge to grab her favorite cereal, Fruit Loops, and went to sit in her usual spot at the kitchen table and poured the cereal into a bowl that was already on the table. She then poured the milk.

Melina Rodriguez kept making breakfast for her family. Lucy noticed that she was making more food than usual and that only meant one thing. Her brothers and their wives were coming over for breakfast. Leo and Issac had moved out by the time they reached their twenty third birthday. Leo was the oldest, then came Issac then Daniel. Lastly, came the only girl, Lucy.

Even though she was the youngest, Lucy took care of her brothers. They were often left alone during the day since their parents both worked so it was up to Lucy to figure out how to cook. If it wasn't for her, her brothers would pretty much starve.

Now at the ages of thirty two and thirty, Leo and Issac Rodriguez were doing well. They both married, had kids and have stable jobs. Leo married his high school girlfriend while Issac married his fifth girlfriend. (He never was good at relationships)

Daniel still had trouble being on his own. He tried moving out, but he would always end up moving back to his parents' house. They didn't mind as long as he helped pay bills and helped around the house. Apparently that rule never applied to Lucy. She was twenty five with a good job and her mom was always asking when she would move out.

She thought about moving in with Ben, but he traveled alot for his job. She didn't want to be alone most days. Plus no he had Claudia, Lucy didn't want to get in the way of his relationship by being a third wheel.

And that's pretty much how Lucy found out she only has one friend. Tragic.

"Your brothers and coming over. House could've used a deep cleaning.  You should've done that yesterday since you didn't go to the wedding," Melina grabbed a piece of pan dulce and ate it. "Your tia was really bummed that you didn't go."

Lucy stood up from her chair when she realized she didn't have a spoon so she walked to her cabinet filled with silverware and grabbed one. "Didn't you tell her I was working? Because I was." She said as she walked back to her seat.

"Did you work all night? It would've been nice to see you at Vanessa's wedding!"

"Says the woman who made me work a shift that wasn't even mine. You and dad got the day off, was I not part of the family?" Lucy asked.

"How can you say that? You're my daughter, you've always been part of the family."

Lucy stood up from her seat. Her mom had said enough that Lucy didn't feel like eating anymore. "I was a little girl taking care of three boys. I was a kid, mom! Instead of playing with barbies or playing outside, I was taking care of your sons."

"Come back here, Luciana! Hey!" Melina yelled at her daughter as Lucy walked back to her room with her cereal.

"Ay, what's with the yelling? It's too early for yelling, especially yours," Grandma Liliana entered the kitchen.

"Nothing, mom. Nothing other than Lucy being a pain in my ass like usual. Complaining that she's not part of the family, that she didn't get a chance to be a kid. She's always been like that!" Melina continued cooking some bacon for her grandkids.

"Melina, let me tell you something. If you complain about one of your children, then maybe you shouldn't have been a mother. Sure, kids are a pain, but never take your anger out on them. I never did. I've seen the way you treat Lucy, all I can say right now is do better. She's your only girl, love her like you do with your sons, maybe even a bit more." Liliana said.

"So now you're telling me how to raise my children?"

Liliana scoffed. "Why do I try? Dear Jesus, take me now, I'm ready. I've lived my life, I'm tired!"

Lucy grabbed a pair of sunglasses that were on the coffee table. She planned on going to eat at the family restaurant since her favorite co-workers were working the morning shift. Plus the cook was nice to her. As she put the sunglasses on, she opened the door and walked out. She bumped into Daniel on the way, who looked very confused at his sister.

"Where are you going?" He asked as she walked away.

"Shut up!" She yelled back.

Daniel sighed. "This family is full of crazy people."

The restaurant wasn't too far from her house. It was about a fiftee walk so it gave Lucy plenty of time to be alone. When she finally got to the restaurant, she was greeted by her co-worker, Ashley.

"Hey, girl! Did your mom send you to work?" Ashley was a laid back girl who was in her late twenties. The first thing Lucy noticed about Ashley was her piercings and tattoos. Her mom didn't want to hire Ashley, but Lucy convinced her to employ her.

"No, I couldn't be in the same room with her. Plus my brothers are coming over for breakfast." Lucy walked with Ashley to the kitchen. She greeted the cooks, servers and dishwasher. Somehow she liked being with her work family than her actual family.

"Shit, she's at it again? I'm surprised her head doesn't have white hairs. No offense." Ashley and Lucy entered the break room. As Ashley grabbed her lunch bag from a cabinet, Lucy sat in a chair.

"Eh, I'm surprised too. She was the one who made me work a shift during a wedding. I didn't want to go, but I didn't want to work." Lucy said.

"Yeah, I was gonna ask you about that. What time did you leave yesterday? Henry said you left late, like really late."

"How does Henry know I left late? He left half an hour before we closed."

Ashley laughed. "You do realize Henry hangs out in the abandoned building a block from here, right? He saw you with some hot guy after everyone left. Did you invite him in and give him free dessert?" She teased.

"First of all, Henry is a creep for spying on me. Secondly, I may have, but I didn't give him our desserts. I gave him leftover cake from your birthday." She admitted.

Ashley gasped. "Shut the fuck up! What's his name? Is he rich?"

"His name is Andrew and I feel like I'm on trial so I'm gonna stop talking about him."

An: bye gonna go to sleep and pretend it's 2010