chapter eight.

The next day, Lucy got up early, which her mom thought was unusual of her. In the Rodriguez household lived Lucy, her parents and her grandma. Occasionally, Daniel would stay over. As for her other two older brothers, Leo and Isaac, they had their own houses to live in along with their wives and children. It was an early Saturday morning when Mrs. Rodriguez caught Lucy making breakfast fir the family.

Lucy hummed an ABBA song to herself while toasing pieces of bread. "Why are you up? You're usually snoring at this time."

Lucy looked at the clock on her phone. It was seven thirty in the morning and it was true, she would still be asleep at that hour, but she convinced herself that maybe it was time to change her ways of life. "I'm trying something new. I have plans with Lexi from my Alegebra class, you remember her?" She passed a plate to her mom that consisted of an over easy egg, bacon and some toast.

Lucy's mom, Melina, nodded as she accepted the plate. She grabbed her fork and broke the egg yolk. She didn't even taste it, she already had a complaint. "It's missing salt, undercooked and you know i like mine over medium."

Lucy sighed. She thought she could go a day without having to hear her mom's complains. Turns out she was wrong. "I'm sorry, I forgot. Maybe dad can eat it-"

"He doesn't like runny yolks. Grandma doesn't eat egg and Daniel is a picky eater. Just throw it away," Melina took the plate and threw the food away then placed the plate in the sink. "Oh, Lucy, when are you going to learn how to cook. What's your husband going to eat? Might as well give him five dollars to go get himself fast food."

Lucy slammed the spatula she had in her hand on the counter. She turned away from the oven to face her mom. "I said I was sorry. Men can cook too, dad does it. Daniel is a picky eater because you're always making him whatever he wants, you never do that with me. You always give me leftovers while you make your sons whatever they want."

Melina scoffed. "When have I ever done that? You're making stuff up. Just let me make breakfast before your dad gets mad."

Lucy just walked away from the stove. "Sometimes I think you don't even like me."

"You're my daughter-"

"It doesn't feel like it."

---

Her cousin's wedding was fast approaching. Lucy still didn't have a date to the party, at this point she thought that maybe it wasn't a good idea to even go. Her mom wasn't talking to her, which made her feel like she should've thought about her words more carefully, but at the same time it was a relief to not her the woman's voice criticize her constantly.

She was currently working at the cash register at her family's restaurant. It was a slow day, but Lucy was free to go in about three hours. She doodled on a napkin while she waited for the next person who wanted to takeout.

"Excuse me, I'm meeting a friend here. I'm not exactly sure what table he got us since he made the reservation." Lucy heard some guy with a nice accent say. Still she didn't pick her head up to look since she was still in a bad mood. She just focused on her drawing.

"The only reservation I know of is table 13, it's over there." Lucy pointed to the table with her pen.

"Thank you . . . Nice drawing by the way." The man said then he left to go sit at table 13.

An hour of doodling and giving people their receipt later, Lucy had told her dad she was going to clock out early since her head was hurting. As she grabbed her bag from the break room, Lucy walked to the front of the restaurant to say goodbye to her co-workers. Then she noticed Ben sitting alone with a half eaten plate in front and across from him. She figured Claudia was with him.

"Didn't say hi?" Lucy playfully punched his shoulder when she got to his table.

"I would've, but your mom said I couldn't distract you. What's up with her?" Ben asked.

Lucy shrugged. "She's always been like that. Controlling and a bitch. Annoys the hell out of me, but what can I do? I stand up for myself and suddenly I'm disrespectful."

Ben nodded. "Well, if it makes you feel better, my mom thinks of you as a daughter."

"Tell her to call me, I haven't heard from my favorite person in so long." Lucy was about to walk away when Ben stopped her. "What is it?"

"I'm with a friend that you definitely want to meet. You kinda actually know him-"

"Ben, I have to get home. If my mom sees me sitting with you, she'll make a scene. Plus, i have a killed headache and being here isn't helping. I'll text you later. Sorry." And with that, the brown haired girl left the restaurant.

Fate was not on Lucy's side. Ben threw his dirty napkin on his plate and sighed. Seconds later, the man Lucy had a huge crush on sat down.

"What's wrong? Food's too spicy for you?" Andrew joked.

"No, you just missed the person I wanted you to meet."

An: besties how we feeling after nwh??? pls no spoilers for people who haven't seen it!!

i am too depressed to function, thank you jon watts for making a masterpiece of a movie

hehe lucy = mommy issues
claudia = daddy issues 🤪