2 - Where Renjun wants to mind his own business

Jaemin grimaced at his iced americano. "This is nothing but water."

His complaints earned him a long look from Renjun.

"It has three shots of espresso. Deal with it", he said. "It's getting late, you shouldn't have even that much caffeine at this hour."

Jaemin rolled his eyes at the lecture. "You're supposed to try to sell me more and encourage me to have all the coffee in the world."

"I don't feel like causing you a heart attack", Renjun pointed out as he swiped the counter with a rag. Jaemin lifted his glass to let him do his job, and smiled mischievously.

"The only way you can cause me a heart attack is with your otherworldly looks and stellar charisma", his voice grew overtly flirty as he wiggled his dark eyebrows.

Renjun sighed.

"I wish that I would've given you decaf."

Jaemin pretended to be hurt for a second before stretching his hands up towards the ceiling.

"Were the little devils horrible today?" Renjun asked when he noticed a hint of tiredness underneath his friend's perky façade. The day-care Jaemin worked in was close to the Dalah Café, and it was already becoming a habit of Jaemin's to stop by in the café after he was done working.

"Nothing too horrible. Some of them had a pine-cone war and it got aggressive fast when one of the kids decided to throw rocks instead."

"Little devils", Renjun repeated himself knowingly, "Mark my words."

Jaemin took a long sip from his americano. "What about here? How many girls have been hitting on you today?"

"Luckily, just one. Though, she did linger in the corner for a long time with her friends afterwards." Renjun's voice was full of disdain. "It's ridiculous how many human girls think that I would be interested in them."

Jaemin smiled softly. "We're humans too, Injunnie", he said, but despite his smile, his voice was stern. "Just because we have some abilities they do not have, in the end, we're still the same."

Tense silence followed his words. This topic had always been an easy starter for debate among their shapeshifting doubler pack. Most of the members saw no significant difference between doublers and 'normal' human beings, while others - such as Renjun - had always steered away from those without animal side.

"You know what I mean", Renjun defended himself, not wanting to get into the same argument again. "We don't mix well with those who are too different from us."

As soon as the words left his mouth, he knew that he had said the wrong thing. Jaemin had few close friends who weren't doublers, and in addition to that it was his job to take care of children - all of whom were normal human kids - and teach them all about equality and fairness.

Jaemin's smile stiffened at his careless words but he didn't say anything. He didn't have to.

"You know what I mean", Renjun tried to save the situation, scratching his neck.

Jaemin stared him down over the straw of his drink, daring him to continue.

Renjun looked around before speaking again, checking once more that no one was close enough to hear them. The café was relatively busy but there were no new customers, giving Renjun a chance to have this never changing conversation with Jaemin. "It's not safe to be close with anyone who isn't like us and you know it. Or have you told the truth to your friends?"

Jaemin opened his mouth, planning to say something, before he closed it again. Then he took another sip of his drink.

"I am close with them", he finally said in a defiant tone.