7 - Where baking is nicer than dealing with people

"Your wrist has to be more relaxed", Byongho instructed and flapped his hands in the air in case Renjun didn't understand what relaxed wrists looked like. The rain was pounding on the café's windows and Renjun hoped that it would've been loud enough to drown out Byongho's voice. "It might help for you to imagine that the container is continuation of your hand."

Renjun had never met anyone who was so passionate about making coffee.

Byongho was utilizing the momentary calm between customers to teach him how to make milk foam art since the kitchen already had enough people working on the baked goods for display, and someone was even doing the dishes.

The bell above the café's door chimed, and a group of young girls entered the shop from the heavy rain. If anyone had asked Renjun's opinion (no one had), he would've said that the place was already busy enough, especially since, for some reason, there had been so many customers for the past few days.

"Can you take them, I'll do their order for you?" Byongho asked after glancing at the new customers over his shoulder. They were closing their umbrellas and putting them into the umbrella holder that was by the door. "It's quicker that way."

What Renjun would've wanted to say wasn't appropriate for work setting, but the thing was that he would've been ready to do anything else but speak to the customers.

"Welcome", he said unenthusiastically, turning to the customers on the other side of the counter. It was a group of four girls, all of whom were staring at him. One of them had a phone out, which was pointed towards Renjun. Was she filming him? "What would you like to order?"

The girls were polite (other than the one filming him) so Renjun tried to be nice to them but his mind kept wandering off to a message he had received from Mr. Park, his private investigator, just before work.

"Location of the documents has been confirmed. Call me after 10pm."

He shook his head, knowing that being anxious wouldn't end his shift any earlier, and repeated the girls' orders to Byongho. But even just thinking about how something might happen soon gave him a surge of restless energy. He would power through the shift with the knowledge of being one step closer.

Renjun was further empowered, when he was allowed to work in the kitchen for few hours preparing biscuit and bread dough for the next few days. His co-workers had already learned to leave him alone for the most parts, meaning that he could stay quiet and just focus on baking.

Not that he liked it, but mixing dough wasn't the worst thing in the world.

He was almost in a good mood by the time he was asked to go back to the front of the store since one of the other workers was done with her shift.

"I think that girl just took a picture of you", Byongho notified Renjun when he was grinding coffee beans.

Renjun looked at the direction Byongho was pointing at and recognized the woman he had been talking about. It was the same person who had been persistent on getting his KakaoTalk ID about a week ago. Her phone was still pointing at him but she put it down immediately when their eyes met.

"What's wrong with people", he muttered. Byongho shrugged.

The bell above the door chimed.

"You take the customer; I'll do the order?" Byongho offered.

You stand in front of the target; I'll practice archery, would've been Renjun's counter-offer in a perfect world.

"Sure."

He turned to see the customer who was currently parking her umbrella into the holder by the door, and panicked.

The customer was Song Chaewon.