58 - Where Renjun cares

Renjun sat in the subway, staring at the floor as the train plummeted forward in darkness. He was supposed to be happy and relieved but his mind refused to let go of the sadness in Chaewon's eyes - sadness he had caused. He rubbed his forehead, unable to understand what had compelled him to be so snarky to her about her self-control even though all he wanted was for her to be safe and happy.

The subway slowed down and some passengers started getting up in order to get out on the next station. A woman's voice echoed in the walls, informing everyone about the station and how the doors would open on the right-hand side of the cart.

"Why did you say that?" he mumbled to himself while the doors closed and the subway started moving again.

Ever since losing the connection to the second half of himself, he had been desperate to be reconnected with the wolf partially because it was part of who he was but also because he didn't want to move forward with the arranged marriage with the Yun family even if it would have helped him to preserve the honor of Huang family. While he still needed to sell the idea to his father, he was supposed to feel relieved now that he had accomplished his goal but the sense of relief was heavily tainted with uneasiness.

The wolf was just as confused as he was, and followed his train of thought closely, trying to understand what was going on despite not being able to empathise with complex emotions.

After a couple of more stations, Renjun stood up automatically and made his way out of the subway. Like a zombie, he walked through the gates before wandering out of the busy station and to the streets.

"Why did you say that?" he wondered aloud once again, ignoring the rain that greeted him outside. He didn't even have an umbrella.

Afterwards, Renjun had no recollection of his trip to his parents' home but somehow he ended up in the correct address. By the time he opened the front door of the fancy house, he was drenched in water that was trickling down his hair into his eyes.

"Who is - Renjun." His mother, who had heard the door open and close, froze on the other side of the lobby when she saw what had happened. She was dressed in a navy silk dress and expensive-looking pearls but the confused look on her face didn't go well with the rest of the outfit. "What - why - how is this possible?"

Renjun was engulfed in a hug. He blinked twice, hesitating, before patting his mother's shoulder. Hugging had never really been a thing in their family.

"I found a cure", he said in a monotone voice. "It worked."

The lynx connected to his mother's soul was happy to meet the wolf for the first time in a long time but both of the animals were over the surprise relatively quickly - after all, the wolf didn't consider his mother to be part of the pack even though it had always been easier for it to be around the lynx compared to the hawk that was his father's second nature.

"I wouldn't have guessed that such a cure truly exists." Both Renjun and his mother turned towards the voice of his father who had appeared in the lobby. The hawk behind his eyes had little to no emotional reaction to the wolf but it was fine, Renjun hadn't expected for him to get emotional. "I thought that you had given up when you started working in that café."

"Should we get you changed?" his mother asked, eyeing his wet coat that was dripping water to her elegant marble floor. "You might get sick if you're not careful."

Renjun didn't need clothes, he needed to be freed. He took a step towards his father. "You told me that I should marry Yun Liying because her family could stabilize our seat in the council while also helping our bloodline to stay strong in case the consequences of the injection affected my descendants. But I managed to fix the issue on my own so can we cancel the marriage deal?"