10 - Where Renjun is kind of blackmailed

"So, what you're saying is that if I want to go, I have to go tonight?" Renjun spoke in a quiet voice, leaning against the trashcan. He was facing the wall, hoping that it would shield him and his call enough.

Currently, inside the café, Haechan and Chaewon were reminiscing on the good old times in Jeju island, while Jisung and Chenle were listening and laughing at their stories. The reunited friends continuously interrupted and spoke over each other and the volume of their voices grew whenever the stories were about to reach the best parts, since neither of them wanted the other one to get the glory.

If anyone had asked Renjun's opinion (not that anyone had), it was surprising that they were friends to begin with, considering how both of them were so fond of their own voice. He pitied their old teachers and other friends, to say the least. One chatterbox was more than enough, and two of them felt like salt in a fresh wound.

After listening to them for a while, Renjun had taken the chance to take the trash out so that he could finally call Mr. Park and hear what the private investigator had to say.

"That's the safest bet", Mr. Park answered. "Like I said, everyone who works in the warehouse should be out celebrating the birthday party of one of their higher-ups, so tonight the place will be deserted. I got confirmation about it earlier today."

Renjun held his head in his hand. All of it sounded so uncertain. If one thing were to go wrong, he would be in a lot of trouble.

"And you're certain about the location of the documents?"

Mr. Park confirmed it immediately. "Yes, the fire inspector who has been my eyes in many places said that he saw the box in the warehouse earlier this week. Apparently, that storage room isn't frequently used so the documents should still be there."

The smell of the trash tickled Renjun's nose, as he leaned against the wall of the building in front of him, considering his options.

"Then I will go there tonight."

"You probably shouldn't go alone, though", Mr. Park pointed out. Renjun's eyes snapped open. "It shouldn't be dangerous but still it'd be good for you to have backup. Just in case."

That made Renjun laugh humourlessly. "You think that I can't handle it on my own?" In reality, he was worried but he couldn't pull the members into his mess. They had been through enough already.

"That's not what I mean, Mr. Huang. I'm just worried about your safety."

"I don't pay you to worry about me."

The line fell quiet.

"Of course, Mr. Huang."

Renjun hung up.

The phone buzzed a second later, Mr. Park had messaged him the exact address of the warehouse. He looked down at the address in Incheon for a moment, before closing his eyes momentarily to gather his scattered thoughts. The alley behind the café was quiet and the only noise he could hear was the faint sound of rain as it pattered against the walls and ground. The rain wasn't nearly as intense as before but still it was starting to soak his shirt and hair. What a delightful weather to break into hunters' warehouse.

"You probably hope that I would pretend that I didn't overhear your phone call just now", voice behind him wondered.

Renjun turned around quickly, just to see Chaewon standing next to the backdoor of the café. His suspicion of her resurfaced quicker than Jaemin finished a cup of coffee.

"Why were you listening on my private phone call?" he demanded to know, walking closer to the door.

Chaewon leaned against the tile wall, not taking her eyes off of him. "I got a hunch that something was going on and wanted to check up on you. What are you planning to do tonight? It sounded dangerous." She sounded genuinely curious.