25 - Where stars shine

"It was brave of you to show up here, Song Chaewon", the guy said in a light, almost teasing tone, "You're lucky that our manager isn't here tonight."

Chaewon's face was void of emotion. "It's a public space, Kim Younghun. Though, I wouldn't have come if I had known that you'd be here."
"You're flattering me, Chaewon-ah!" the guy batted his eyelashes mockingly. Chaewon took another step back and his lips curled. "Why are you behaving as if you were scared of me, sweetheart?"

Renjun stepped in front of Chaewon as soon as he reached the two, facing Kim Younghun coldly. "What do you want?"

The guy was startled by his appearance but got over it quickly, leaning to the side so that he could see Chaewon, who had frozen behind Renjun. "Who is this, Chaewon-ah?"

Renjun stared at him. "That is none of your business. Leave her alone."

"Does your boyfriend know that he's playing with fire, sweetie?" Kim Younghun was still speaking to Chaewon, pretending that Renjun wasn't there. "Or have you managed to hide it from him?"

"If I were you, I would walk away now", Renjun said in a monotonous voice and grabbed the guy's shoulder to stop him from bullying Chaeown.

He scoffed but Renjun could see a hint of uneasiness on his face when their eyes met. Even if he had lost his connection to his doubler, the wolf was still part of who he was.

"You're clearly making her feel uncomfortable, so you better walk. Now", Renjun repeated himself, not releasing the guy from the hold of his glare.

"Let him go before someone sees", Chaewon's whisper was barely audible. She tugged the sleeve of his coat cautiously.
Renjun glanced at her over his shoulder. "Why?"
Chaewon swallowed. "He can cause you trouble if someone sees this."

Her words elicited a smug chuckle out of the other guy. "Does that mean that you learned your lesson after last time, sweetie?"

Renjun ignored his taunts, instead studying Chaewon's nervous face. "You're saying that we should go and let him be?" he asked.
Chaewon nodded.

Kim Younghun didn't like being ignored. "For someone so obsessed with honesty, you sure are good at keeping secrets, Chaewon."

"And you sure like running your mouth, don't you?" Renjun quipped, turning back towards him. "Why don't you do us a favour and run back to your less-than-mediocre dance buddies already? Or did they grow tired of your pointless blabbering as well?"

The guy's jaw clenched. "I'm just trying to look out for you, buddy", his voice was sharp, "You clearly don't know what you're dealing with."

Renjun rolled his eyes.

"I'm telling you the truth", Younghun said. Each word was dripping with poison, "One wrong move and she will destroy you."

"Let's go", Chaewon mumbled behind Renjun.
He heard the desperation in her voice and nodded to her. "I think we're done here."

"You're lucky that I can still dance, Song Chaewon!" Kim Younghun said when he realized that they were about to leave. "Otherwise, I wouldn't have been so generous."

"Don't listen to him", Renjun told Chaewon and pushed her lower back gently to get her moving. "He's an idiot."
Chaewon nodded stiffly.

The other guy wasn't done talking. "Hey, Chaewon, should I tell Sieun and Hyeonjeong that you said hi?"

Those words struck a chord.
Renjun saw a flash of gold flicker through her eyes when she turned around on her heels to stare at the guy. Her hands started shaking and she seemed to be one second away from jumping into the guy's throat and tearing him into pieces.