68 - Where Chaewon has a checklist

As she jumped into a cab, Chaewon knew that she had to keep her head cool and figure out how to handle everything. After creating a scene by slapping doctor An - and hopefully distracting her and Mr. Yun from even considering that she could be up to anything - she had been escorted out of the MMCA by one of Mr. Yun's employees. The quiet man hadn't left her side until she got into the cab, meaning that she couldn't start acting on her plan until the car door was closed and she saw the employee head back to the museum.

"Chaewonnie!" Haechan's voice greeted her just a few seconds after she had dialed his number. "Renjun is sorry about being mean to you, okay? He can be rude sometimes but he had good intentions. Can you speak with him, he's -"

Chaewon cut him off. "Donghyuck, I need your help. Are you home or out?" Without waiting for a reply, she pressed her phone against her chest to give the address to the cab driver before returning to the call. "Do you have Renjun's grandmother's phone number?"

There was a moment of silence. "Huh?" Haechan was baffled by the request. "Renjun's grandmother? Why do you need that? And I've been out all day, now I'm headed home."

"I don't have time to explain every detail but Renjun is in trouble so you need to listen to me carefully, okay?" Chaewon's finger was tapping against the door handle and her leg was shaking. It was difficult to stay calm. "If anyone in your pack has Renjun's grandmother's number, you need to call her now and ask her to check what time the Yuns' flight is leaving. I managed to trick Mr. Yun into confirming that they're flying to Shanghai today but I just checked and tonight there are three flights leaving for Shanghai - two from Incheon and one from Gimpo. I need to know which one they are taking. Can you do that for me?"

"What is going on?" Haechan was alerted by her tone. "Is Renjun in danger?"

"Not necessarily in danger but in trouble. He has to go through with the marriage unless we can stop it." Ideally, Chaewon would've isolated the pack from the issue to speed things up but she didn't have the time to come up with a way to toe around the truth. "So, I really need to know if you can get in touch with his grandmother or not. I haven't spoken with his parents enough to judge whether or not they would cooperate, so his grandmother is a safer bet. And I don't know how long the Yun family will stay in the gala so I need the confirmation as soon as possible."

Finally, Haechan had understood the urgency of the situation. "Chenle might have it. I'll call him and get it sorted." He hesitated. "I'll alert the pack and we'll head to the airport as soon as we figure out which one to go to. We will stop them even if we have to fight them."

"No!" Chaewon's eyes widened. "If you show up in front of Mr. Yun before everything is set, you'll alert him and it'll be harder for us to help Renjun. For now, Mr. Yun thinks that he has won and he has to remain unaware of what's going on. I will get someone else to distract them."

Haechan wasn't pleased with her but didn't argue. "Fine. Is there anything else we can do to help?"

"Just get me the deadline, okay?" Chaewon rubbed her forehead. "I need to know exactly how much time I have."

"I'm on it."

The call ended.

Chaewon took a couple of breaths to calm down. She had to be rational and use her resources wisely instead of panicking.

Since Haechan was taking care of figuring out the timeframe she would be working with, she had to move on to the second step.

As the cab driver eyed her curiously through the mirror, Chaewon dialed the next number.

"Hello." She was greeted by the voice of a confused and reserved girl. "Why are you calling me? I thought that you wanted nothing to do with me."