49 - Where the story continues

"This is the address they gave me." Chen Guilin was clutching onto her purse, her eyes darting wildly between the door and windows of the remote house in the middle of Jeju Island. "I spoke with them yesterday."

"Maybe something happened and they had to flee on a short notice", Wenyin suggested, peering inside through one of the windows. The house was vacant – there were no signs of anyone and even the lush green forest surrounding the house was quiet. "Since there's no signs of struggle, we shouldn't assume the worst."

Cha Kunwoo fiddled with an empty packet of cigarettes. "So, we have spent all this time planning for this meeting for nothing and now we're just going to go back home and wait for them to maybe contact us again one day?" He spit on the ground. "What a waste of time."

No one wanted to admit that he was correct.

Nam Jihoon, who had been standing on the side cleared his throat. "If someone does know about this location, it's not safe for us to stay here. Maybe we should get back on the road."
"You're right." Wenyin's eyes trailed their surroundings. They appeared to be alone but that didn't mean that they were safe. "We should get back to Seogwipo and make sure that no one is following us."

As they were walking back to the car, Chen Guilin's frail, wrinkly fingers grabbed Wenyin's sleeve. The old lady was half the size of the man but her grip was strong. Honestly speaking, Wenyin was intimidated by her and he knew that he wasn't the only one.

"I have a bad feeling about this", Guilin said, facing the man in front of her. "Something bad is about to happen."

Wenyin frowned. "What do you mean?"

The other two men were already waiting for them next to the car.

Guilin tilted her face more, staring up to the sky. It was very pale blue – almost lazy shade that looked like the painter hadn't felt the need to find a better one. Dark clouds were gathering to cover the sky, and she appeared to be thinking hard about something.

Then, as if the clouds had answered her questions, profound sadness replaced the fear in the old woman's eyes.
"It's too late, my boy", she said and patted Wenyin's shoulder. "I see nothing. The fate has tricked all of us."

"What do you – "

Guilin shook her head and walked past him. "They all are so young", she muttered to herself but refused to answer any further questions, so Wenyin followed after her quietly, dread creeping up his spine.

For whatever reason, Guilin wanted to drive when they headed back to Seogwipo, and no one wanted to fight the old grandma. So, they allowed her to drive slowly, humming along some old songs playing on the radio. When rain started pouring, she wasn't surprised.

"You all received my letters, right?" she asked out of nowhere, turning down the radio.

"Yes, ma'am", Nam Jihoon answered right away from the backseat behind her. Cha Kunwoo and Huang Wenyin nodded as well. "Why do you ask that now?"

"And you hid them well?"

"Just as you asked", Wenyin confirmed.

"Good, good." Guilin's fingers started trembling against the steering wheel. The headlights of an approaching truck shone brightly through the rain.

Kunwoo leaned forward from the backseat. "You're being weird, lady."

"I'm sorry, boys." The old woman's voice almost drowned underneath the sound of rain hammering the roof of the car.