16 - Where Renjun enjoys family life

"I don't remember if you told me already but where did father go this weekend?"

Renjun's question froze his mom momentarily, and he caught her and grandmother exchanging a swift look before grandmother gave her daughter-in-law a barely unnoticeable nod. The modern, Western-style restaurant was filled with sophisticated conversation and hurried footsteps of the staff catering to the needs of every customer, creating pleasant surroundings for the suddenly awkward atmosphere.

Mom sighed and placed her cutlery down on her plate before facing him. "Your father is attending a council meeting in Jakarta."

Renjun's brow furrowed slightly. "Is it an additional issue meeting?"

Huang family was one of the old, prominent doubler families in East Asia that had played a significant throughout times. That family history had guaranteed Huang bloodline a permanent seat in the Asia-Pacific council of doublers, which aimed to guard over and improve their living conditions in the area of Western Pacific Ocean. And, of course, Renjun's father's impressive career as a politician and a diplomat had further consolidated his status in the council.

Father always wanted Renjun to attend the council's biannual meetings because in the future he was supposed to represent Huang family and participate in conversations regarding doubler rights and issues especially in Korea and China.

Mom's eyes flickered to grandmother once again. That look of uncertainty told Renjun what he needed to know but he still wanted them to say it to his face.

"It's the second annual meeting", mom finally admitted. "Your father figured that it would be better for you not to participate because of, well, your current... situation."

Because the wolf was gone, and Renjun without his second half wasn't enough for his father.

"I understand", he sounded just as stiff as he felt but arguing about it wouldn't make any difference. "Then why didn't either of you go with him?" There had been occasions when Renjun couldn't join his father in the biannual meetings and usually then either his grandmother or mother went instead.

Mom picked up her fork and knife again, focusing on the steak in front of her. "Yun Jianfeng agreed to accompany him and your father thought that it would be the wisest move."

Renjun scoffed but didn't say anything even though he was quite sure that Yun Jianfeng had been more than pleased to get into a council meeting. He was an extremely wealthy Chinese businessman from Singapore and he had been lingering around as long as Renjun could remember. While money could get one far, there were some things that couldn't be bought, and a permanent seat in the council was one of those things.

"Which reminds me, I got a lovely picture of Yun Liying. Do you want to see it?" mom found her energy again and turned to her purse before Renjun could even answer.

"No thanks", he quipped but mom didn't care, and soon enough he found himself holding her phone.

There was a picture of Yun Liying. She was beautiful - had always been -, like a lead actress from a Chinese drama. She was a nice person too - they had been friends as kids and were still friendly if their paths happened to cross.

Renjun handed the phone back. "There. I looked at it. Are you satisfied?"

"Come on now, Renjun", mom reprimanded him in a soft voice. "Yun family is coming to Korea next week, so you should start thinking about Lili and get used to the idea of having her around."

"Lili?" Renjun echoed. "I haven't seen Yun Liying in years. There's not much for me to think about."

Mom was starting look agitated. "You promised your father that - "