61 - Where questions find answers

"My hair is fine, mother", Renjun grumbled when the woman behind him kept adding more and more pre-styling products into his hair. "No one cares what it looks like."

"It's your first social event after the return of the wolf", she reminded him while combing the stuff into his hair. She had forced him to sit in the largest bathroom of the house right after his arrival. Renjun hadn't realized the trap set by his mother when the lady had told him to come to the house in the morning despite the gala starting in the evening.

Renjun didn't want to attend the Seoul Annual Winter Gala but knew that in order to improve his chances of not having to marry Yun Liying, he had to go and play nice.

"Why do you want to do my hair so early anyway?" The event wouldn't start in another ten hours so he could've slept in.

His mother scoffed. "I have an appointment with my masseuse and nail technician before getting my hair and makeup done." She poked his shoulder. "You seem tense, should I ask if they could fit you into their schedule as well?"

The wolf bared its teeth inside Renjun's head.

She saw the look on his face. "Fine, fine. I won't do that. It's not my fault if you're as stiff as a board when you dance with everyone later."

"I don't want to dance with anyone", Renjun said. His mind was flooded with memories from his trip to Jeju with Chaewon, pulling him back to the drunken night in the old house.

"Can you promise me something else?" Chaewon whispered while sinking deeper into her grandmother's bed. Soju had made her cheeks red.
"Yes." Renjun was entranced by the girl in front of him.

The light in her eyes darkened. "Don't dance with Yun Liying."
"Okay."

Chaewon raised her eyebrows, surprised by how quick he was to answer. "You're not lying." She tried to suppress a yawn but failed miserably. "I thought that you wouldn't say anything."

Renjun saw that her eyelids were growing heavy and guided her head towards the pillow. "Of course I told you the truth." He pulled the blanket over her.

She yawned again.

Renjun leaned over her to caress her cheek. "I don't want to dance with anyone."

"Not even me?" The words came out as an incomprehensible mess.
He could feel a smile on his face. "Except for you."

His mother sighed, and the lynx behind her eyes gave Renjun a death glare. It disapproved of Renjun defying his mother's will. "I'm letting your behaviour slide since you've endured burdensome times lately. Maybe it is a good thing that you are going to therapy."

Her words caught Renjun's attention and he moved his head so quickly that his mother, who had started blow drying his hair, ended up pulling on the strands she was currently working on.

"Renjun!" she snapped. "Stop moving your head."

He didn't care. "Dr. An was recommended to Chenle by his mother. Were you or father the one to recommend her?"

He had asked about it from Chenle but hadn't heard back about it yet. If doctor An was connected to his family, would that mean that his father had been behind everything?

His mother focused on his hair. "I heard about the doctor for the first time when you mentioned her in the beginning of autumn. Afterwards, your father and I have spoken with her a couple of times about your progress but that's it." His hair wasn't cooperating with her. "Why?"

"What about father? Was he acquainted with her beforehand?" Renjun wasn't sure if he even wanted to hear the answer.

His mother shrugged. "I think it was the first time for us both to hear about doctor An when you told us about her. Besides, we haven't been in much contact with the Zhong family lately so I don't know how your father could have recommended a therapist to Chenle's mother."