34 - Where Renjun is a damsel in distress

Chaewon's posture was rigid as she glared the girl who was still hugging Renjun from behind. The menacing expression on her face was accentuated by the golden blaze in her eyes that were trained on the other girl's arms.

Renjun recognized that fury immediately – just some days ago, that exact look had been followed by Chaewon attacking teenager bullies with his umbrella.

His harasser, the clingy girl, wasn't aware of the possible danger lurking behind Chaewon's lowered brow and shaking fists. She didn't understand what she was up against. "Excuse me", she tried to sound polite despite the clear annoyance in her voice. She was still holding onto Renjun like he was her favourite toy, but had turned her head towards Chaewon, leaning her forehead against his back. "Can't you see that we are in the middle of a conversation at the moment? We would appreciate some privacy if – wait, have we met before?"

Renjun had seen the two girls talk in the café a week or so ago. He remembered that afterwards Chaewon had told him about the other girl and suggested he'd be kind to her, saying that she was a graduate student in Yonsei University and that she seemed very nice.
He glared at Chaewon. Nice?

Chaewon brushed off his annoyance and nodded to the other girl. "We had a chat the other day, Juye."

Renjun blinked. The girl was called Juye?

Juye frowned. "You seemed so nice and encouraging back then. Why are you looking at me like that now?"

"Because you're harassing a guy who wants you to leave him alone." Chaewon took a step towards them. "When I spoke with you, I told you that you can't force people to change their opinion about you and that you shouldn't make them feel uneasy."

Juye huffed, flicking her glossy hair. "You also told me that you would tell Renjun about me and ask what he thought of me!"
"I did but he wasn't interested", Chaewon snapped. She had taken another step closer, and Renjun could see that Juye was dragging her towards the limit of her self-control. He tried to push Juye's hands away without using too much force but that only encouraged her to tighten her grip. Chaewon noticed the movement, and her shoulders tensed. She lifted her gaze slowly from Juye's arms to her eyes. "Let go of him, Juye."

"This has nothing to do with you! Leave us alone and stop meddling." Juye was starting to sound angry, as if she wasn't far from snapping either. "We're just talking. It doesn't concern you."

"Let go. Now." The golden swirls in Chaewon's eyes made her look scary – yet somehow enchanting. Renjun couldn't take his eyes off of her but, at the same time, he wouldn't have dared to oppose her. He wasn't sure whether Juye was brave or dumb. "This is the last warning."

"You should listen to her", Renjun advised the girl suffocating him.

Juye had finally noticed the odd colour of Chaewon's eyes but didn't seem to be too fond of them. "You can't tell me what to do, freak."

Chaewon didn't ask a third time.

Instead, she sucker punched Juye, who reflexively let go of Renjun before staggering backwards in shock.

"You hit me!" Juye cried out, placing a hand on her burning cheek. She turned to look at Renjun, horror colouring her face red. "She hit me!"

"I can do it again", Chaewon promised nonchalantly while pushing the sleeves of her coat up as if she was planning to do the dishes.

If doing the dishes involved punching people in the face.

Juye let out a panicked screech when Chaewon attacked her.

It was very obvious from the get-go that Juye had no chance of fighting back or running away. Chaewon tackled her to the ground with ease and pressed a knee against her rib cage, while her opponent wriggled and shrieked like a piglet, trying to get away.