Dwindling Faith

Mipha's POV
His eyes were closed and his whole body was covered in severe burns along with his wounds. What made me feel hopeless was his breathing... he wasn't. This can't be happening! He can't be gone!

"L-Link!" I yelled. He wasn't responding. "Link!" I forced myself to move and check his pulse. There was nothing, no beating. If I can heal him, maybe he will respond again and...

"No!" I opened my tear-filled eyes and sat up.

"Mipha, you're awake!" Sidon kneeled next to me. I looked at him confused and then finally took a moment to look at my surroundings.

I was in the domain in the newly built medical center. My body was submerged in a teal, medicinal pool. Many others were submerged in the many other pools as well.

"H-How am I..."

"You've been resting for three days. After Fireblight sent a wave of fire at you and Link, Thunderblight created a shockwave of lightening. You got pretty knocked out. I did what I could to fight them off and the other champions came to my aid with their Divine Beasts."

"Are Link and Zelda alright?"

"We were able to get you and Zelda to safety, but Link..." He grabbed something wrapped in brown cloth and handed it to me. I unwrapped it and all I could do was stare. It was the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword. Both were covered with deep scratches, dried blood, and dents. It was the Master Sword that broke me though. It's glowing would dim for a few moments then glow bright again. That means...

"No, no, no, no, this can't be real!"

"Mipha, we had to put him in the Shrine of Resurrection. He was dead. We had no other choice."

Tears burned in the back of my throat. I felt so guilty. The tears first came slow and steady, but it then became a fast stream.

"Who knows how long he'll be in there?!" I sobbed and covered my face with my hands. "This is all my fault!"

"This is none of your fault, Mipha," he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Yes it is! I should've been more careful! I should've thought it more through!"

"What do you mean?"

"He died to protect me, Sidon!" I snapped. "I should've been the one to die! Hyrule needs Zelda and Link. It doesn't need me."

"Mipha, don't say that!"

"Mom?" Liana and Valik timidly walked in. Their cheeks were streaked with tears.

Sidon looked at them then back at me, "I'll give you three some time alone." He stood up and walked out of the room.

I put my hands behind me on the ledge of pool and pushed myself onto it. My feet were still in the water. I held my arms out to the two, "Come here." The two walked over, their steps slow. Valik sat on my right side and Liana sat on my left. We hugged each other, trying to give each of us comfort.

"I miss him already," Liana said, her voice shaking.

"Me too," I stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.

"He'll be back though," Valik said, his voice sad but calm.

"Y-You're right," I sighed, trying to clear my mind. I needed to at least stay strong for these two. Even if I feel like a complete worthless mess. "We don't know how long he'll be in there, but he will be back. Let's just hope that we'll live to see him again."

"Can we visit the shrine?" Liana sniffed. "When you're feeling better, of course."

"Yes, we'll visit it." We all sat there in a sad, comfortable silence. Knowing that at least my kids were still alive and safe was enough to help me feel a little peace. "Do you two know what happened to Zelda?"

"Urbosa is taking care of her until she's well enough," Valik explained. "She's letting Alivia and Aven rest up at Gerudo Town as well."

"What's Zelda going to do when she feels better?" Liana asked.

"Probably do what she did last time," I wiped some of my stray tears away. "She'll probably head over to the castle and keep Ganon dormant until Link comes back."

"Wow, history is kind of repeating itself."

"I guess it is... just slightly different, however."

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Valik, Liana, and I stood close to the locked entrance of the Shrine of Resurrection. Valik and I set some wild flowers down in front of the door. Liana set down a small, wooden box that had a bracelet that she made for Link. Valik straightened his posture and cleared his throat.

"Dad," Valik began, "I know that you can't hear me, but thank you for all that you've done for us. You've sacrificed so much for everyone, and those sacrifices won't be in vain. We will pray faithfully for your recovery and that you will be able to accomplish your duty successfully."

"I-In the meantime, we'll do what we can to help those around Hyrule," Liana added. "When you wake up, I hope that you'll be proud with all that we've accomplished."

The two looked at me to see if I wanted to say anything. I wanted to very much, but what would I say? All I can think to say is how guilty I feel for this whole situation, but I don't want to talk about that in front of them.

"Mom," Valik's voice broke me out of my thoughts, "Liana and I will be waiting at the tower. Take your time." The two started to walk away. Valik must've been able to see right through my hesitation.

"We were blessed with wonderful children, Link," I gave a small smile. "Sometimes I wonder if we really deserve them." I sighed, my smile leaving my face and my hands clenching together. "That moment has been replaying over and over in my mind. There's-There's so many things that I should've done differently. If I would've been smarter about my actions, you wouldn't be where you are right now." I took a deep breath to fight the tears away. "Yet all that fantasizing doesn't matter. What's done is done, and we can't go back." I gently touched my fingertips onto the locked door. "I'll try to stay strong, Link. I'll do my best to patiently wait for your return. And in that time that I'll wait, my love will never dwindle."