Chapter 10

Ricky: I pick up my phone to call Sara and my call goes straight to voicemail again.

"Fuck" I say frustrated.

She's been ignoring my calls all day. I know i disappointed her last night but I didn't think that she was this mad over the situation.

I put my phone down and it rings. I quickly pick it up and see that it's from an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Ricky, it's Leo. I've been meaning to call you."

"Hey what's going on, where's sara?. She won't answer any of my phone calls."

"Look she's alright, but-"

"But what?" I interrupt.

"... it's happening again Ricky." He says and I can hear the calm in his voice drop a little bit.

"But it's been months, She's been fine" I reply confused.

"I know, I know but guess it's back." He sighs "you should get down here."

"Yeah, I'm coming I say and then hang up.

I grab my car keys and go to find my uncle.

"Hey, what's going on?" He asks noticing the worry on my face.

"I gotta go home. It's Sara, she's not doing well."

"Again huh?. Alright I understand You can go but Ricky, this is the last time I'm letting you do this. You made a commitment the day that you joined 6th street, I know it might difficult but this is what comes first from now on. Got it?"

"...Got it." I say and then head out the front door.

Later

I knock on the front door and Leo lets me in.

"How's she doing?"

"Not so good. She won't get out of bed."

"So what exactly happened?"

"She woke up crying last night and came to my room and told me that something felt wrong. Then I went to the store this morning and she came with me because she didn't wanna be alone, She ended up having a panic attack in the middle of the store parking lot."

"Shit, I should have came back last night like I told her I would."

"Don't blame yourself, this probably would have happened either way. You should go see her."

I rush upstairs and open the door to see Sara lying in her bed, facing the wall. It's an image that I've seen plenty of times but I'll never be used to it.

I lift up the covers and crawl into bed with her.

I put my arm around and feel the sad hopelessness in the dead silent room.

"Are you awake?" I whisper into the back of her head and she nods her head slowly.

"How long have you been low?"

"A couple weeks." She whispers so low that it's barely audible.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask confused.

"Because I was doing so good" she says through shaky words. "I feel like such a failure" she says and then begins to cry.

The dead silent room was now full of her heartbreaking cry.

"Hey, You're not a failure. You fought this thing for almost a year. You've beat this before and you're gonna do it again. Everything's gonna be okay, just rest for now." I say holding her tighter. "Just rest."