~SEVEN~

Sophie forced her eyes open but all she saw was darkness. Overwhelming darkness. It swallowed her whole and didn't let her out.

And then it was someone's voice. It was familiar. She forced energy into her legs and arms and squirmed, expecting to be held back by chains or ropes. But she could move loosely. It was then that she realized she was draped over someone's shoulder.

"Huh..?" Sophie muttered, stopping to clutch her throat. The pain bubbled up inside of her and made it hard to speak.

"Don't be so stubborn, rest," a loud voice spoke, followed by a hushed whisper in a snarky tone. "You kids."

And then the person carrying her slowed to a quick stop, mumbling, "Shoot!!" and dropping her on the ground, running away.

Sophie moaned and rolled over, her thoughts blurring away.

She craned her neck, but a sharp pain stopped her. She pulled her fingers to the source of pain and cringed as she felt bubbling blisters and rough, ripped apart skin. She had been burned.

But she didn't remember it. She didn't remember anything. Who was she again? What was her name?

Nothing felt different about her, but she rubbed her neck slowly and felt the blisters and welts, proof that something had changed.

She felt her body shaking and heard a muffled noise. What? What was happening? Was someone speaking to her? She felt two strong hands grasp her shoulders and shake her harder. Harder. Harder. HARDER STILL. Back and forth she swayed, not sure she wanted to get up. But why? What was wrong with her?

Finally, Sophie was able to make sense of the words.

"Sophie!" one voice called. It was smooth and gentle, but with sharp pricks of worry almost hidden by the desperation. It was also perfectly accented.

And then another one, this time feminine. "Sophie! Wake uppp!"

And then another. "Foster!?" This time filled with so much panic and desperation that it forced Sophie to reply.

"Keefe?" Sophie found herself speaking, sitting up slowly, and wincing at the pain in her side.

Whispers were all that followed.

And then...silence?

And then the darkness was ripped away, and a searing, blinding light flashed through Sophie's vision and cleared away just as fast as it had come.

"Sophie! Are you okay?" Fitz shouted, embracing Sophie in a hug. The warmth tingled and spread through her body.

Sophie glanced over and noticed Biana and Keefe sitting on either side of her.

"I'll get Grady and Edaline. Oh, and Dex." Biana stood, but before she left, she squeezed Sophie so tightly in a hug she thought she might burst.

Keefe looked at her intently. "I'm so sorry, Foster-"

Fitz interrupted. "Sophie, we saw someone dump you here and then run away. Do you know who? Do you remember what happened?"

Keefe leaned towards Sophie and whispered in her ear, "It was Forkle, wasn't it?"

Sophie coughed and nodded. Fitz ran a finger over her blistered and welted neck.

"I'm hailing Elwin!" Fitz bolted away as quickly as he could.

Keefe snorted, and Sophie prepared for more teasing. "What is that now, like the 1 billionth time?"

Sophie managed to roll her eyes before almost falling backwards. Keefe had to grab her arm to steady her.

"Okay, how about you rest?"

"Okay." Sophie coughed. Her neck burned and she felt the blisters again. They throbbed with pain and Sophie cringed.

Biana and Dex came sprinting over with Grady and Edaline not far behind. Edaline sobbed and grabbed Sophie, clinging to her tightly.

"You're back!" she cried.

Grady's eyes were full of fear.

Cold, dark fear that sunk into Sophie's mind with one look.

"Woah, Foster, your emotions just spiked! Everything okay?"

Sophie started to nod when Dex interrupted.

"Sophie, are you okay? You've been gone for-for 6 days. We thought we had lost you."

"It's true. Alden sent out search parties and the council didn't rest. But they were starting to consider another funeral." Grady rubbed his head and sighed.

"Another one!?" Sophie spat out. "Is that even possible for elves to have two funerals?"

"It's possible for Foster, apparently."

Sophie rolled her eyes again.

And then her imparter buzzed and she picked it up out of her pocket, surprised the Neverseen hadn't noticed it and stole it from her like they did with everything else.

It was Mr. Forkle.

A/N: HAHA I am evil!!!!!!!!!!