~NINE~

A/N: (Adira): be prepared for an intense chapter

400 views special: Keefe and Sophie Sitting in a Tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G 

Keefe POV:

Keefe sat next to Sophie, who laid in her bed, completely motionless. Elwin had given her some slumberberry tea, and Tam was currently trying to figure out how to heal Sophie's burns. Elwin was out taking care of another patient, and as for Biana, Dex, Fitz, and everybody else -- they were most likely sleeping. It was about 1 AM, but Keefe couldn't care less. He was completely focused on Sophie, and only Sophie.

She stirred and rolled over, moaning something about Iggy and mallowmelt. Keefe smiled and tried not to laugh, but a noise came out anyways and Sophie's eyes shot wide open.

"Sorry..."

Sophie yawned. "It's ok."

Keefe couldn't help but think about how cute she looked when she yawned. He grinned and brushed the thought away, turning his attention to Sophie.

"What time is it?"

"About... 1 AM, I'm guessing."

"Why are you still here, then?" Sophie muttered.

Keefe felt a bit of hurt from that statement. "Look, Foster-" he paused to stare at his feet, "I care about you. If something happened and I wasn't here, I'd never forgive myself."

Sophie smiled at him, a weary, tired smile. "Thanks,"

"You should go back to sleep."

Sophie rolled over and mumbled something about needing slumberberry tea. Keefe reached out to grab it and handed it to her. She downed it, and began to fall asleep immediately. But the tea must have had some sort of effect on her, because she rolled over and whispered tiredly, "Keefe, don't leave me." and then promptly fell asleep and began snoring.

Keefe took this as an opportunity to do something he'd always wanted to do. "Sophie Foster, I love you. I always have, and I always will." he whispered.

He leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips, his heart screaming with joy.

When Sophie woke up in the morning, she remembered nothing.