~FOURTEEN~

TAM AND MALUM PART 2

Tam pov:

It was the middle of the night, and Tam still stood, leaning against the wall in Sophie's bedroom. Something had happened between her and Keefe, but they refused to talk about it. And Tam could sense that Keefe was hiding something big.

Fitz couldn't even get Sophie to talk- and Sophie had been having her secret telepathy thingies with Fitz ever since he left the room.

The search for how to fix Sophie's brain was going slowly, and Tam was extremely annoyed by it. And he couldn't stop thinking about Malum.

Malum's glossy, dark hair that fell in graceful waves. Her human colored eyes, like Sophie's. The crack of the gum between her teeth. It haunted Tam, he didn't know why- but he wanted to see her again. He wanted to ask her why she had kissed him. He needed to know.

But Tam's thoughts were interrupted when there was a flash of light just outside the window, and Tam spotted dark hair and a black robe.

He rushed out the door, his feet pounding against the floor rapidly. Down the stairs. Through the living room. Out the front door.

And then...

He slammed right into Malum.

"Malum!" he gasped. Malum's hand shot to his mouth and cupped over it.

"Be quiet!" she rasped. "No one can know I'm here!"

"Why?" Tam tried to hiss through Malum's fingers.

She released her grasp and quickly laced her fingers through his, pulling out a yellow leaping crystal and thrusting them both into the light.

When the light faded, Tam was standing next to Malum on the top of a hill in a moonlit field filled with swaying lavender flowers. Puffy clouds danced around the moon and stars illuminated the sky.

"Where are we?" Tam whispered, staring at the sky.

"Scotland. It's--"

"A human country," he said.

"Yeah, I like to come here, when I'm not-"

"Doing the Neverseen's bidding?" Tam guessed.

Malum turned away from him, releasing her grasp on his fingers and looking into the distance. "I chose to join them. The Elvin world disgusts me. It's unfair. Horrible. Wrong."

"You hurt my friend." Tam argued.

"I did what I had to do. Nothing more. Nothing less."

"I should go." Tam spoke.

"No! Wait!" Malum grabbed his arm and held him back. For a brief moment, their eyes locked, and Tam almost felt sorry for Malum.

"Malum, I can't be seen with someone from the Neverseen." Tam managed to say.

And then, he saw a single, glistening, shiny tear roll down Malum's pale cheek.

"I'll go." she huffed, turning and holding up the leaping crystal up to the light.

"It's not too late, you know."

"For what?" Malum questioned.

"To do the right thing."