~THIRTEEN~

"Are you kidding? You can't burn abilities, you can't even touch them!"

Tam stood up and began pacing around the bed. "Actually Sophie..." he began flicking at his bangs, a nervous habit that Tam seemed to have, " I know you haven't been an elf for very long, but you can technically touch our abilities." Before she could interrupt he continued, "Elves have an extra lobe in their brain for their abilities, so if you were to touch that part of the brain, then..." he trailed off yet again, which was starting to annoy Sophie. Wasn't this the fifth or so time he had trailed off in the middle of life changing news? "Well, they'd have access to the very essence of your abilities."

Sophie unintentionally scoffed, "It's not like they cut open my brain or anything."

Tam shook his head. "There's an access point that links to that part of the brain. If you do anything to the access point the same thing happens to the ability lobe. So they want us to think the neck is the access point. But if we can find the access point then we can fix you."

Sophie forced her head to nod. "Okay. Let's get to work."

---------------------------------------------------

 Keefe was sitting next to Sophie when she opened her eyes from a very un-peaceful night of sleep.

"Keefe!" she screeched, gathering her covers in thick bundles around her face, hoping the fabric would act as a shield and protect Keefe from the poison. He flashed his trademark smirk and stared at her.

"Relax, Foster," he reached his hand out to lower the covers but Sophie jerked away from him, seeing hurt flash through his eyes.

"No, Keefe, I'm not going to hurt you! What are you even doing here? You heard Elwin." Sophie countered. She wasn't going to relax. She wasn't going to let herself hurt Keefe. Again.

"Bla, bla, no visitors," Keefe ranted. "That's garbage. I'm here for you. I don't care if I get hurt."

Sophie tried to ignore his pleading smile. "I'm transmitting to Tam and Elwin and Fitz to come get you if you don't go right now."

"You're so cute when you worry," Keefe sighed and ran a hand through his perfectly tousled hair.

"I mean it, Keefe! Go!"

"Nah."

"Yes!"

"No."

Sophie stretched out her mind to Fitz's, Tam's, and Elwin's all at once and sent a booming thought echoing through their heads.

Keefe is in my room and he won't leave. I don't want to hurt him. Please come get him.

Fitz replied first.

On it.

Oh no you don't, Elwin ordered, You aren't allowed anywhere near Sophie right now.

Tam seconded Elwin's statement and instead offered to kick Keefe out of the room. The door shot open about 5 minutes later while Sophie gave Keefe the silent treatment and he pouted with his sad eyes at her until she had to turn away.

"C'mon, Keefe, you're going to get yourself killed." Tam grasped Keefe's arm and started to pull him out of the room as Keefe kicked like a flailing toddler. He thrashed and sighed and made another pouty look at Sophie as he got dragged out the door and Tam and Keefe disappeared down the hall.