~NINETEEN~

Sophie and Keefe sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G Part 2

Sophie was sitting on her new bed (her old one had been burned, and her whole room had been replaced since), staring at the walls. The blank, dreary walls, that on any other day would have seemed vibrant and normal, but today they expressed the darkness of her soul.

She couldn't believe she let Tam get taken by the Neverseen. Again. It was all her fault.

And she couldn't grasp the concept that there was a new ability- a Plasmer. One that no one had ever heard of. Except Keefe, for some reason.

Speaking of Lord Hunkyhair.

"Foster?" a voice said, knocking on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah."

Keefe staggered into the room, his shoulders slumped and his face looking depressed. For once, his eyes didn't glint with charm and his hair wasn't fluffed to perfection.

"Um, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about," Keefe said, sitting down on the bed next to Sophie.

"Shoot," Sophie muttered.

Keefe looked just about as red as a tomato. "You know, when we first met, at Foxfire?" Keefe asked. Sophie nodded. "I knew there was something special about you."

"Probably because I was the weird new girl with crazy emotions and hidden abilities."

"Well, probably, but something else too. I know you probably don't feel the same way-" Keefe stuttered. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, I couldn't live without you Foster. I couldn't live with myself if anything ever happened to you. And I've already hurt you so much. I know I don't deserve you in my life."

Sophie threw her arms around Keefe, for once in the day half feeling happy. "Keefe," she whispered, her voice muffled against his shirt. "You haven't hurt me. And I couldn't live without you either."

Keefe's entire face became even redder than a tomato, and he looked a mix of happy and shocked. "Foster, everything is going to be okay. We'll get Tam back. We'll fix my abilities, and yours. Everything's going to fine."

"I know." Sophie slumped her shoulders and relaxed into Keefe's embrace. "I don't know what I would do if we hadn't got you back."

Keefe turned to face Sophie, and for a second, it felt like they were the only two people in the world. Sophie felt her face heat up, and a swarm of butterflies rallied in her stomach. Keefe leaned toward her, and she couldn't believe what was happening. In a mere second, she realized she didn't like Fitz. She liked Keefe.

Their lips met. Sophie's whole body flooded with joy, and Sophie knew in an instant that there was a spark between them. This kiss wasn't like the dull kiss she shared with Dex years ago. This one was real. And Keefe knew it too.

Sophie wanted it to last forever, but she pulled away when they heard a knock on her door. Keefe's eyes sparkled with the returned charm. 

"Come in," Sophie said.

It was Fitz. Of course.

"Um, Forkle wants to see you guys," Fitz informed them awkwardly, tip-toeing away in a hurry.

"Great timing," Keefe scoffed.

Sophie stood up, her legs wobbly since she had been sitting and sulking all morning. She and Keefe walked downstairs and saw Forkle, Fitz, Grady and Edaline waiting for them downstairs. 

"Miss Foster," Forkle began. "We need to discuss Tam."