7. I know what I am

The following two nights had been the same. Annika had asked Caia to her bed, before holding her until she was close to sleep, rolling over when Caia nudged her.

In the middle of each night, Caia had woken to find Annika wrapped around her. In her sleepy state, she did nothing to protest, and simply fell back to sleep, enjoying the comfort.

She always woke alone in the morning.

Caia was in the library when Annika emerged from her study just before lunch. She smiled upon entering, and for a moment, it was easy to forget she was the leader of a powerful drug cartel.

"You like to read?" Annika asked, sitting beside her.

"You have a really great collection. I think I'll try and devour as many of your books as I can by the end of the month." Caia smiled and meant it. Annika seemed to have great taste in books.

"Perhaps my books won't be the only thing you're excited to devour," Annika said, smirking.

Caia rolled her eyes before catching herself. "Shit. Sorry."

"It's fine," Annika said, crossing one leg over the other. "You're welcome to express your opinions, and I have encouraged you to be honest with me after all."

"Yeah but..."

Annika narrowed her eyes. "Tell me what's on your mind."

There was a lot on Caia's mind, which was why she was desperate for an escape, sinking into the comfortable lounge in the library. All so she wouldn't have to think about anything.

"I've been told enough times by enough people that they weren't going to hurt me." It was more than she had ever revealed to a person. "And all was fine, until they did."

Seeming to process Caia's words, Annika remained silent a while. When she looked up, it was with sorrow in her eyes. "You're waiting for me to snap and be something other than what I've promised you I would be."

"Yeah... something like that."

"I don't want you to feel constantly on edge. What can I do to help?"

Caia pulled her knees up to her chest. "I don't know." She looked up, into Annika's eyes. "I guess time will tell."

Annika nodded. "Why don't we get out of here? We've been cooped up in the house for five days now."

"Where will we go?"

"There's a nice café within walking distance from here. We could get coffee or ice cream."

It was such a simple offer. Such a simple activity for them to do. As though Annika wasn't someone who tortured the people who owed her money. As though she didn't own her. But Caia would admit that she had grown bored of being inside day after day, so accepted.

There was no way of knowing whether she could trust Annika until she had the opportunity to test that trust. To test Annika. Only then would she know what kind of person she was, and how she would treat her. It was all good and well for her to be all about kindness and cuddles for the first few days, but what would that become when she grew bored? Would she become impatient and want more? Would she eventually force it from Caia?

"What are you going to have?" Annika asked as Caia stared through the glass at the array of ice cream options.

They had walked all the way there in silence. Annika hadn't seemed fazed by it, giving Caia the space to talk if she had wanted.

"I can't decide. What are you having?"

"Either the chocolate, or rum and raisin."

Caia grinned. She had been tossing up between the same two. "Really?"