23. The plan

Annika knew something was wrong. There wasn't any hard evidence, but rather, a gut feeling. An instinct. Sebastian and Victor had been on edge around her for almost two weeks. They had been briefing her less and less, consulting with her rarely, almost as though they had given up the pretence that she was even in charge.

Another document had been downloaded using the club wifi. It was a set of dates, but nothing that made sense to her. She filed it away, but it never left her mind. Something was coming. Something big. She couldn't shake the sense of fear. Of impending doom.

Because everything was already too good to be true. It had been three weeks since Caia had told Annika she loved her, and every second since had been bliss. She wished she could pack up and leave. Run away with Caia and Hallie and leave this part of her world behind.

But something was coming. And soon, if the list of dates were any indication. She just wished she knew what it was. She hated not being in control. Still, suspecting these dates were important, she sent them through to detective Andrews, using one of her other phones, before wiping it entirely. It was a risk, but potentially a necessary one.

She tried to leave her worries behind her as she walked in the door, smiling at the sight of Caia and Hallie cooking together in the kitchen.

"Hey babe," Caia said with a bright smile.

Such a smile deserved one in response, but all Annika could muster was something weak in comparison. Hallie called for her, before crashing into her legs. Annika grinned, wrapping her up in her arms, holding her until she wriggled free.

"What's wrong?" Caia asked.

Annika remained silent until she walked around the counter and into the kitchen, before taking Caia into her arms. "You know I love you, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Caia said. "What's wrong?"

"I don't actually know." Annika frowned. "Something feels off. I can't put my finger on it."

"At... work?"

Annika wanted so desperately to tell Caia. But she couldn't. She had already placed her in enough risk. She nodded. "Yes."

"Do I need to be worried?"

"No, I'm sure it's fine."

Caia frowned. "Maybe you need to go to the police."

"I have a plan."

"I know, but—"

"Please trust me," Annika said. "Can you do that?"

"Of course I can."

"Thank you." Annika leant her forehead against Caia's. "How long until dinner?"

"About twenty minutes," Caia said.

She continued to speak when Annika's phone vibrated within her pocket. Her voice blended into the background, drowned out by the pounding in her ears as she stared at the message on the screen.

Go.

That was the trigger. The warning for her to enact her plan. Her mouth filled with saliva as she fought the urge to vomit. A tremor ran down her hand.

"Nika, what's wrong?" Caia asked, her tone urgent.

Annika blinked. Once. Twice. She took Caia's face in her hands and kissed her, holding her close, burning the moment into her memory.

"You're scaring me," Caia said. "Please say something."

Another message came through.

Now.