16. What's NM?

TW: Re-traumatisation of child abuse and implied childhood sexual assault. If you think this may not be good for you, let me know and I'll send you a different version of the chapter. Either way, it's a little bit distressing so please read with caution.

***

Annika had been awake since 5am when Hallie ran into her room crying after a bad dream. She hadn't wanted to wake Caia, so had taken Hallie back to her room and stayed there with her until she eventually stopped crying, before they both went downstairs for an early breakfast and swim.

Annika swam laps, doing breaststroke so that she could watch Hallie where she sat on the steps playing with her toys. She had her back to the house when Hallie called out to Caia.

"Good morning," Caia said, sitting beside Hallie, placing her feet in the water.

Annika dove under the water, covering half the distance of the pool in one breath, before emerging in front of them. "Morning."

As it so often had recently, lust filled Caia's eyes. "Show off."

"Oh that's nothing. I can easily swim the length of the pool in one go." Annika smirked at Caia's expression. She was impressed, though tried to hide it. "Are you going to join us?" she asked, noticing Caia's bathing suit beneath her shirt.

In answer, Caia stood and removed her T-shirt and short-shorts, leaving her in nothing but the red two-piece bathing suit Annika had bought her. She walked to the deepest end of the pool, holding Annika's gaze, before diving in.

She didn't emerge until she reached the other end.

Caia smirked. "You're not the only one who can do that."

Annika hummed in agreement. "Well, now I know you can hold your breath for much longer than I'd given you credit for..."

Caia's eyes widened and she looked from Annika to Hallie in horror.

"It's fine," Annika said. "She doesn't understand." She smiled, watching Hallie play. "Little bug? Time to get out now. Why don't you go find Christina and get her to help you get ready for the day."

It took much convincing, and much whining, before Hallie agreed to exit the pool. She had been grumpy all morning since the nightmare she'd had and would likely be in a mood for the rest of the day.

Once Hallie was inside, Annika turned her attention to Caia. "Get over here."

A level of meekness had begun to show in Caia's attitude. She looked at Annika as if nervous, as if her bratty tendencies were fading away. When Caia reached her, Annika wrapped her arms around her waist and lifted her, until Caia wrapped her legs around her.

"That's better," Annika said.

Their faces were so close in this position. With the water holding most of Caia's weight, Annika lifted one hand to place gently on her neck. She inched closer, taking a few seconds to glance at Caia's lips, before looking into her eyes. She held her gaze a moment, but her insecurities got the better of her and her lips connected with Caia's neck instead. She pulled her close, hungrily kissing and nipping at her skin.

A few light whimpers left Caia's lips. "You're going to get me all worked up and then run away to work for the day, aren't you?"

"Unfortunately, yes. I'll need to go to the club this morning but will work from here in the afternoon. Will you be okay to stay here with Christina and Hallie?"